Thread: Mechanization hurts COIN forces

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Is war not about applying the correct resources to a theater based on a thorough understanding of the terrain and the enemy? If operations are tailored to fit based on the forces allocated, (mech, para/airborne) then we are wasting our time. The military appreciation if correctly done will lead us in the correct direction. Maybe night bombing based on thermal imaging followed by a coroners team to pick up the pieces (literally) is good for one area while a Fallujah (Op Al-Fajir) type operation is good for another. Enemy and terrain, enemy and terrain.

Default Well, Yes. But...

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Is war not about applying the correct resources to a theater based on a thorough understanding of the terrain and the enemy? If operations are tailored to fit based on the forces allocated, (mech, para/airborne) then we are wasting our time. The military appreciation if correctly done will lead us in the correct direction. Maybe night bombing based on thermal imaging followed by a coroners team to pick up the pieces (literally) is good for one area while a Fallujah (Op Al-Fajir) type operation is good for another. Enemy and terrain, enemy and terrain.
    You left out the rest of the mnemonic -- Mission, Troops available, Time, and Civilian considerations.

Maybe some can afford a multitude of units of all types in order to have the correct mix for every situation. Most nations cannot and even those with a good mix may have commitments (or civilian legislative tinkering) that affect the availability of the best type of unit in the requisite quantity(ies) for a mission or operation.
    Last edited by Ken White; 04-22-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    You left out the rest of the mnemonic -- Mission, Troops available, Time, and Civilian considerations.

Maybe some can afford a multitude of units of all types in order to have the correct mix for every situation. Most nations cannot and even those with a good mix may have commitments (or civilian legislative tinkering) that affect the availability of the best type of unit in the requisite quantity(ies) for a mission or operation.
    Its all about round pegs in round holes.

Default Most assuredly and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Its all about round pegs in round holes.
    However, the number of pegs versus the number of holes has an effect.

I can place a square peg in a round hole, it will have to be smaller than the required round peg but I can get it in there. Can do the same with a triangular peg -- or an Octagonal (which can be almost as good as a round one...). All depends on how many pegs I can afford and have. That and how many and what type holes on the board but I can adapt.

It also depends on how many holes the board maker places on the board. Unfortunately, I can't predict that, so I have to get as many pegs as I can afford of the types that I guess I'll need. And that will always be a guess and fiscal and political constraints on the number and type of pegs will always exist on my end...

Council Member

My background includes only one brief trip in a fairly permissive peacekeeping/peace enforcement environment in a light infantry role with a balance of foot and light vehicle mobility patrols.

One thing I noticed was the often negative attitudes by locals towards a coalition partner's forces which might have been strongly correlated with their quite infrequent debus-ing and lack of direct interaction with the locals...their vehicles seemed to create a significant barrier at times.

In my mind, I wonder if mechanized versus light infantry in COIN might be VERY ROUGHLY analagous to the squad car based versus beat cops on foot argument in crime ridden urban environments that comes up now and again?

While I understand the threat environment can be, and often is, quite high in the AOs in question...far higher than I've personally experienced.....and can warrant the real need for mechanization and the benefits it provides......but I wonder if the mechanization(when not actually necessary or warranted) creates some significant barriers along the same lines as I perceive things in this linked photo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/...462a20f862.jpg

Sorry if my post might come across as too remedial/intro 101 COIN...just trying to learn!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by flagg View Post
    My background includes only one brief trip in a fairly permissive peacekeeping/peace enforcement environment in a light infantry role with a balance of foot and light vehicle mobility patrols.

One thing I noticed was the often negative attitudes by locals towards a coalition partner's forces which might have been strongly correlated with their quite infrequent debus-ing and lack of direct interaction with the locals...their vehicles seemed to create a significant barrier at times.

In my mind, I wonder if mechanized versus light infantry in COIN might be VERY ROUGHLY analagous to the squad car based versus beat cops on foot argument in crime ridden urban environments that comes up now and again?

While I understand the threat environment can be, and often is, quite high in the AOs in question...far higher than I've personally experienced.....and can warrant the real need for mechanization and the benefits it provides......but I wonder if the mechanization(when not actually necessary or warranted) creates some significant barriers along the same lines as I perceive things in this linked photo:

Sorry if my post might come across as too remedial/intro 101 COIN...just trying to learn!
    Flagg,

The beat cop vs. squad car is a great analogy. Perception is reality, and this classic piece by James Q Wilson about broken windows I think cuts to the heart of what you're after.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-windows/4465/

Additionally, another name for COIN that was used by the Brits back in the day was Imperial Policing.

Quote Originally Posted by flagg View Post

Don't worry about being "too remedial", certainly people like me appreciate the context - I'm constantly looking up acronyms when I read posts on SWJ.

The analogy you propose makes a lot of sense to me, and my gut feeling originally would have been to agree, but the point that a lot of guys are making in this thread (one I'm starting to see as the reality), is that the cop car is not a barrier in and of itself - nothing is stopping the cops from parking their cars and doing a little community outreach on foot. In fact, they should, and good leadership would encourage that kind of behavior.