Thread: The War Inside the Arab Newsroom

Council Member

Default The War Inside the Arab Newsroom

An old article, and on the long side, but an interesting look at Al Arabiya:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/02/ma...rint&position=

As a sidenote, has anyone seen that documentary about Al Jazeera from a few years back, I think it was called Control Room? Worth tracking down?

Saw Control Room. It was pretty boring and not terribly informative even about al-Jazeera. You do get to see al-Jaz reporters and executives respond to the killing of one of their own by American troops. The segments with Marine Captain Josh Rushing which made the captain famous (and now an al-Jazeera English correspondent) didn't strike me as particularly informative.

You're probably better off buying Prof. Marc Lynch's book if you want more on al-Jazeera. Also al-Jazeera English has a dedicated Youtube channel.

Default Re: Control Room

I thought Control Room was very interesting because it gives you a first hand glimpse of the tremendous cognitive bias of the Al Jazeera staff towards the U.S. and our military. Its very blatant and is shown from the behind the scenes staff all the way to the reporters in the field.

Council Member

I saw Control Room as well. It was a pretty good movie but isn't terribly informative.