View Poll Results: Unconventional Warfare Command - Yea or Nay?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great Idea, Long Overdue

10 22.73%
  • Bad Idea, Another Useless Command Structure

34 77.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unconventional Warfare Command?

Council Member

Default -An Abundance of Rumors

I can just imagine all the civilian watch dog groups that would crop up with the formation of an UWC. CFPWB - citizens for the prevention of water boarding FFEEHD - feminists for equal exposure to hazardous duty
    FGC - friends of the geneva convention AIA - activist imbeds anonymous
    APL - anti profiling league SFPHSD - society for the prvention of holy site desecration WAMP - women against macho posturing PETA would even want to get in on it to insure no mules were ever confiscated and ridden to death in rugged terrain

Hollywood would have a field day, gigantic myths would unfold of Rambos able to leap high buildings and slay enemies with the lid of a rusty tin can, and with that would come the civilian watchdogs, crying and whining to Congressional oversight committees to snoop and dig and hold hearings - there would be an abundance of rumors and hearsay the likes of which have never been seen

Default The Carabinieri

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    Why not create a service specifically for "Counter-Insurgencies" and generally mixed military-police roles (overseas ONLY of course)? Maybe something that is roughly to the army what the Coast Guard is to the Navy.

The biggest problem I see is the opposition from the established services - no one wants to give up their "turf".
    That was actually proposed a while back, and I believe that the Italian Carabinieri were held up as an example as a successful model. Of course the turf war would be a problem, but I think that even bigger and issue would be budgeting. Who would front it, and then where would the leaders come from? Would you simply start from scratch, or would you take from all the services?
    Audentes adiuvat fortuna
    "Abu Suleyman"