Thread: Israel's raid on Syria: Prelude to a nuke crisis?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Water requirements estimate...

In 2000, thermoelectric power generation required an average of 20.6 gallons of water per kWh
    http://www.physorg.com/news111926048.html

For the geographical site referenced by Global Security, someone with time on their hands could back into the water requirements needed for this supposed industrial site (or any other) by using data requirements from various open source engineering references and then compare their requirements estimate against the hydrologic estimates produced for the region/site from various open source agricultural/engineering references and software (hec-hms, hec-ras, etc).

Rainwater appears to range 140 to 600 mm/year for the area (yes, that is a big range), while the Anatolian GAP Dam program supposedly allows Turkey to stop the water flow to downstream folks (Syria, Iraq, etc) for somewhere between several days to several weeks depending on who you talk to (and as I was reminded you can't drink oil). The presence of nearby local dams, and/or water truck delivery (common in this region) of course can skew the rainfall analysis...

It's mental gymnastics like this that always takes me back to the classic 'there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns' statement. As we all know too well one has to know the difference between the requirements of horseshoes, hand grenades, and a tight shot group....

My guess is that the Israeli's do...
    Last edited by Surferbeetle; 12-31-2007 at 02:37 AM.