Thread: We Didn't Kill Enough Iraqis?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Everytime I start to think I am too hard on this guy and his line of thinking, he writes something even more atrocious and absurd.

I wonder if he really has ever even had a whiff of what mega-death looks, smells, and tastes after the cloying stink gets in your throat and your own vomit is an improvement in taste.

Truly disheartening

Tom
    You know, I actually met MG Dunlap a few weeks ago at a seminar - even bought me a beer. Believe it or not, he's more moderate in person than his writings suggest. It's almost Ralph Peters like - the writing is red meat for discussion.

More disturbingly, there was an AF advocate (academic) who gave a speech that makes MG Dunlap look like a regular hearts and minds fanatic. Thesis was along the lines of "we're not letting the Iraqis drop enough bombs, the Army/USMC completely inept, the surge has failed, and this war would be over if we used more airpower". I told him afterwards his speech was not only wrong, but dangerously wrong. Unfortunately, he also occupies a position near some high level influencers in the AF.

<sigh>
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    You know, I actually met MG Dunlap a few weeks ago at a seminar - even bought me a beer. Believe it or not, he's more moderate in person than his writings suggest. It's almost Ralph Peters like - the writing is red meat for discussion.

More disturbingly, there was an AF advocate (academic) who gave a speech that makes MG Dunlap look like a regular hearts and minds fanatic. Thesis was along the lines of "we're not letting the Iraqis drop enough bombs, the Army/USMC completely inept, the surge has failed, and this war would be over if we used more airpower". I told him afterwards his speech was not only wrong, but dangerously wrong. Unfortunately, he also occupies a position near some high level influencers in the AF.

<sigh>
    This doesn't really surprise me...but all too often it's the content that comes across and sticks rather than what the individual says once the lights are off or the article's gone to press. Peters is similar, but I'd say different in that he's retired and thus doesn't come off as sounding like he's speaking for an institution. IMO, anyhow.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War