Thread: Ike's theory of small Wars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Ike's theory of small Wars

From a longer article

Quote Originally Posted by slate.com
    Ike's views on the subject were formed back in the 1920s, when he was chief aide to Gen. Fox Conner, commander of U.S. forces in Panama. Conner taught Eisenhower how to think about military decisions according to the logic of the standard "field order"—assessing mission, situation, enemy troops, our troops, plans, logistic support, and communications, in that order. Conner talked a great deal about the importance of the second paragraph, the commander's estimate of the situation, which involved assessing each open course of action—and each countermove available to the enemy. The less one knew about where the successive steps of a battle might lead, the less one could formulate a sensible strategy and, therefore, the less willing one should be to jump into a violent fray of mystery.
    I've been thinking about this for a while. The time to worry about things like ethnic cleansing and increased Iranian influence is before you start the war. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rank amateur View Post
    From a longer article

I've been thinking about this for a while. The time to worry about things like ethnic cleansing and increased Iranian influence is before you start the war. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.
    I like Ike. We even use the same hair stylist.

Council Member

Default No Moss on Rolling Stones

I thought you were making reference to the campaign button, " I Like Ike".

You state in your essay, "The astute strategist senses such obsolescence before it is proven, and uses a burst of creativity to establish new patterns..."

This seems to characterize the friction between the COIN advocates and traditionalists of today's Military

Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
    I thought you were making reference to the campaign button, " I Like Ike".
    I was. (this is gibberish because I was told my message was too short)

Ike: the wrong man for the Long War?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkAqtILdYaI

Council Member

Well, I always like the way Ike handled all the displaced persons and their thuggery after the firing had ceased - a whiff of grapeshot can still go a long ways sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    I like Ike. We even use the same hair stylist.
    I'm a big fan too Steve. In fact, I've got your monograph on my bookshelf. My nine year old boy insisted that we celebrate GEN Eisenhower's 117th birthday today, so my wife baked some cupcakes and we sang "Happy Birthday Ike" after dinner this evening.
    "Law cannot limit what physics makes possible." Humanitarian Apsects of Airpower (papers of Frederick L. Anderson, Hoover Institution, Stanford University)