Thread: Good resources for Antiterrorism/Force Protection training?

Council Member

Default Good resources for Antiterrorism/Force Protection training?

I'm reworking my lesson plans for the Terrorism Awareness course I'm teaching. I'm not a fan of the text I'm working with, and have had some success pulling in examples and tie-ins for the historical/analytical part of the course based on what I know of historical attacks.

However, though the AT/FP (i.e. how to evade being tailed, how to search your car for bombs) is written rather banally and not very convincingly, I don't have better sources to draw from for examples or other material to enrich the course.

Are there good sources for AT/FP training, or case studies of attacks on U.S. servicemembers? I'm using Col. Rich Higgins and Gen. Dozier as examples, but would like examples that relate better to junior enlisted.

Really depends on which level you are teaching assuming it is a DOD approved course. Level -II and up covers the CS methods.

Here is your best bet for getting the latest if you have access.

Office of Security, Force Protection, & Law Enforcement

ANTITERRORISM LEVEL 1 TRAINING SYSTEM
    Last edited by sgmgrumpy; 09-27-2007 at 01:41 AM.

Council Member

Default case studies

Quote Originally Posted by mmx1 View Post
    Are there good sources for AT/FP training, or case studies of attacks on U.S. servicemembers? I'm using Col. Rich Higgins and Gen. Dozier as examples, but would like examples that relate better to junior enlisted.
    It is a bit short on lessons to be learned, but the Report of the DoD Commission on Beirut International Airport Terrorist Act, October 23, 1983 is a useful case study of that attack. The 1996 Downing Assessment Task Force examines the Khobar Towers bombing and broader FP issues in the region (at the time). The policy recommendations are a bit outdated, but the event analysis/case study could be useful.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgmgrumpy View Post
    Really depends on which level you are teaching assuming it is a DOD approved course. Level -II and up covers the CS methods.

Here is your best bet for getting the latest if you have access.

Office of Security, Force Protection, & Law Enforcement

ANTITERRORISM LEVEL 1 TRAINING SYSTEM
    I'm teaching the Terrorism Awareness MCI; not sure if that is "DoD-approved". I've taken the AT Level 1, but forgot about the case studies. They're a bit short but are a good starting point.

How might I obtain Level II materials? The course goes into more depth than Level 1.

https://dssacdsws.dss.mil/index.htm

Try the Defense Security Service link above. While it does not meet the Corps' reqs for Lvl II ATO training, it covers all the same stuff. Good course, but took about two weeks of 1-2 hrs per day to finish.

If you get lost in the crappy links, find your way to the DSS Academy, and register for an ENROL account. Lvl II training is under General Security and requires you to get approved before you can start any modules.

You won't get materials per se, but you can always screen capture relevant slides. Only other way I know to get materials is to attend the resident crs at Ft Leonard Wood.

You may want to give the folks at ITI a call. This is the full one-week course in counter-surveillance, escape & evasion, aggressive driving skills and lots of shooting. DIA sends most of their Es and Os there for high-risk assignments. Most of ITI's staff have served in high-risk areas, or were part of investigative teams, such as in Beirut, Dar es Salaam and Nairobi.

Quote Originally Posted by mmx1 View Post
    I'm teaching the Terrorism Awareness MCI; not sure if that is "DoD-approved". I've taken the AT Level 1, but forgot about the case studies. They're a bit short but are a good starting point.

How might I obtain Level II materials? The course goes into more depth than Level 1.
    You should request to attend a Unit Force Protection Unit Advisors Course. It would certify you as a Level -II instructor.

U.S. Army Military Police School (USAMPS) Advanced Law Enforcement Training Division (ALETD). use to teach it as well as Antiterrorism Level III Training.

USAMPS
    http://www.wood.army.mil/usamps/

Level-III is usually for BC and above but also for US Government Civilians

https://jsoupublic.socom.mil/courses/crc/index.php

I would resource anyone who teaches AT/FP. Alot of good civilian agencies teach courses as well like Stan has mentioned.
    Last edited by sgmgrumpy; 09-27-2007 at 12:49 PM.