Thread: Engaging the Mosque

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Caution, yes. Dread, no.
    The issue of exploiting, approaching, interacting with, and understanding how the particular mosque in the particular city, and inside the particular sect of Islam is complex. I would use the word enlightened with intensive study.

Regardless of whether it is "activist" or not, the church/mosque/temple etc has a voice of authority in communities among a large portion of it.
    No it does not. That is a cookie cutter. Even taking Islam alone, mosques in one country playa different role than they do in another. Although there is change underway in Turkey, authority as I believe you are using the word does not apply. In Egypt it is more complex and depends on the mosque itself and the neighborhood, village, or region.

did we leave exploitable human terrain because of that fear? and, how many of our men and women paid the price for that? (Not to be confrontational, but you see where I am coming from; this isn't all academic, philosophical sociology here; it has a direct impact).
    Not to be confrontational, as a FAO with a good bit of on the ground experience in Lebanon, Turkey, Egypt, Sudan I don't believe that I am speaking with a purely academic background although I have a Masters in Mid East Area Studies. I am speaking from much practical experience as an operator and as an operator who has translated what "exploitable human terrain" means in terms doable.

Best

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 09-29-2007 at 10:06 PM.