Thread: Thinking of Tomas...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default So much time and $ training on navigation for nothing

this is what I posted on tomas' Carebridge site, I guess it's okay to post here:

I'm on my first business trip to Orlando since Tomas' dx.

Yesterday was pretty interesting, we drove down to Fredericksburg to get a desk for Tomas for his kindergarten homework that he has been doing. We thought that we would pick it up them so we took Lenka's stationwagon and my car. The intent was to drive home with Tomas and Anna in my car while Lenka and Teresa drove with the desk home. We purchased a desk that should keep him happy thru the teen years, we avoided the kiddie desks for that reason. The desk is due to be delivered on the 6th of November.

We looked across at the mall and determined that it was to crowded to go to, at this point we drove back north, Lenka and Teresa in lead, Tomas, Anna, and I in trail. Lenka took us to the Stafford Regional airport, the kids were able to go up and touch the airplanes and checkout the medivac helicopter. Good call on Lenka's part, the younger kids loved the visit, Teresa hit the boredom button about 15 minutes into the visit.

Teresa wanted to do some shopping afterwards, so I kept Tomas and Anna with me. I took the lead on a road that I hadn't been down before. It is one of those country backroads that you have to be careful on, in the blink of an eye you could find yourself across the country with no clue as to how you got there. Eventually we lost contact with Lenka and Teresa. I was under the impression that the road that we were on eventually lead to Garrisonville Road so I initially wasn't worried. Tomas and Anna figured out that we had broken contact (including cell phone) with Mom so they started to get concerned that we would never see her again. After the 10 mile circle that we did and ended up at the same 1800ish church I decided to just head East and hope to find I-95 before the sun set in the west. After about 10 minutes of driving east, both Tomas and Anna shouted "turn here." I turned the car around and took the turn that they told me to figuring it would calm (they were doing the typical kids stuff of goofing off while I was trying not to panic) them down and eventually I would get some type of comms with the cell phone. As we drove down the road, Tomas pointed out to a church and said that they park schoolbuses there, I'm thinking they park a lot of schoolbuses at churches. The two continued to mess with my brain cell by saying things like "there will be a white fence coming up soon." The kept on claiming that this was the way to their school from last year. As they are telling me about the next landmarks coming up; I'm thinking to myself, no way, I've navigated all over the world both on land and water with no landmarks and there are two preschoolers in my back seat.....backseat driving. We started to get closer to civilization, a redlight was coming up (it was the first one in what felt like 3 hours), Anna announced "turn right."

We were on Garrisonville Road about 3 miles from home.

Shift gears now.

Tomas was itchy last night, I'm praying that it isn't a long night for Lenka. I ended up sleeping in the chair next to his bed with my hand on his bed to feel when he would start scratching.

On a side note, Lenka needs additional training, I drive a 2004 Mustang, she drives a 2004 Volvo V70R. She has more horsepower and her car is faster then mine.

So much for Europeans being fast drivers
    Last edited by nichols; 10-29-2007 at 02:51 AM.