Hey Mark !

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I just found this site due a link to my site, ethnography.com about the Human Terrain System. As an anthropologist, I am very excited and encouraged by the much more overt and "on the ground" use of anthropologists by military and intelligence communities. This is also a raving big deal to a lot of other anthropologists.
Given your background, I'd be very interested in checking out your site. I've tried to obtain a better understanding of Anthropologists and Marc is always ready to assist.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
You'll notice that all these ideas for pledges and resolutions, etc to ban certain kinds of work by social scientists rarely if ever from people with actual experience in the field. Why? Well those of us in the Business/Government/Military end of anthropology are too busy actually DOING things.
Although I spent some time reading AAA's Code of Ethincs, I came away with mere broad stroke regulations and certainly no straight forward 'Do's and Don'ts'. At the very least, I found nothing forbidding an Anthropologist from assisting the US Military in saving lives, both ours and others. This broad statement would lead me to believe
the contrary:

Anthropological researchers have primary ethical obligations to the people, species, and materials they study and to the people with whom they work.
  • To avoid harm or wrong, understanding that the development of knowledge can lead to change which may be positive or negative for the people or animals worked with or studied
  • To respect the well-being of humans and nonhuman primates
  • To work for the long-term conservation of the archaeological, fossil, and historical records
  • To consult actively with the affected individuals or group(s), with the goal of establishing a working relationship that can be beneficial to all parties involved
Regards, Stan