Thread: Human Terrain & Anthropology (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Well, Steve, I AM a grandfather, so here's my take.
    I doubt, I really doubt, that I'm the only one who can say that among my peers - there are opportunities, yes. But we were promised that once we got into college, we were at least going to have a vaguely decent job.
    Who promised you this?

I'm an old guy going for his UG degree, no one promised me anything. Yes, ultimately I hope to get employment in something that is at least closely related to my field of study, but there may be some problems (security clearance issues). I'm not going to let that hold me back. If it causes a problem, then I'll do something else, like not get a graduate degree in intelligence, or find some other alternative.

Penta, you should be getting an education because you have the desire to learn, not because you want to get a job. Math sucks. I hate it. It's boring and depressing, but it's a required course. I'll work just as hard to get an A in that class as I would in any other class I take.

JMO

I tell my students I am there to offer them the opportunity to become educated. I also tell them often that I don't do training I'm there to educate them. What's the difference? In a nutshell do you want your daughter receiving sex training or sex education? I have long discussions with my students about the fact that I may give them the opportunity to become educated I am also the gate keeper on the discipline and like some fat sphinx they must answer my questions to pass.

This year I'm on a "half" sabbatical while I finish my PhD course work. I'm teaching half my normal load and all of that distance learning. The students are despondent as I'm not there for normal office hours and usually I have a line. The students think they are coming there to get a piece of paper to get a job. I disabuse them of that trite thought rapidly. I've whacked on my Dean and Vice Chancellors when they say things like we're training the future work force. I'm not popular at dinner parties. I know that my discipline is going to be out of date before they graduate. I have to educate my students to think. I am teaching my students to get the job that hasn't even been created yet.

I have ran across interesting phenomenon with my students. Companies work hard to recruit my students, the name of the University, the discipline, the history of the program, but the success of past graduates is the real reason they're sought after. The companies talk about being positive, and great places to work. If the companies lied my students quit. BS my students and they'll walk and find other employment. Employers who tell students it's hard work, long hours, and we pay you well get dreadnoughts on task. It could be the same person. It's kind of fun to get the baby-boomer calling complaining that my students don't trust anybody over 30, and are more interested in sex than say assembly language programming... Uh.. DUH!
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.