Thread: Human Terrain & Anthropology (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    Library of Congress has been amazingly (for a gov't agency) helpful. A copy of the Margaret Mead document is on the way. I'll be receiving it as a hardcopy, but will be more than willing to share for academic purposes.
    The practitioners of the Librarian's craft are always helpful or else we execute them at our Free Mason/Library meetings.
    "I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds people live their lives under Imperial rule without ever seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."
    ―Captain Thrawn

Council Member

Default Librarians

Or, like the uber-librarian, Mao, they schedule us for re-education.

Steve

Disclosure: Married to a librarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ruffian View Post
    The practitioners of the Librarian's craft are always helpful or else we execute them at our Free Mason/Library meetings.
    J. Edgar Hoover was a Librarian at the Library Of Congress (I think) the original FBI Intelligence system was based on the card catalog and the Dewey Decimal System.....then they went to computers and have been going down hill ever since

Council Member

Sometimes, organizing information on a systematic basis creates its own insights and connections.

I was just looking back to an issue for the on-going Iraqi drought. Seems like the best reports and recommendations assemble and organize the work of expert, rather thanbeing the work of the experts themselves.

Rory Stewart's group estimates that there are 5,000 foreign Afghan experts in Kabul these days. Wonder how to orchestrate them?

Ain't it grand.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Planner View Post
    Sometimes, organizing information on a systematic basis creates its own insights and connections.
    And other times it creates its own reality where none existed before .

I'm putting the finishing touches on a presentation that goes into this, but we just had an interesting short article show up that illustrates it nicely (see here). Still thinking about that one, but there are some extremely interesting points coming out of it.

Cheers,

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Council Member

Default AAA report on HTS released

Panel Criticizes Military’s Use of Embedded Anthropologists

By PATRICIA COHEN
    New York Times
    Published: December 3, 2009

A two-year-old Pentagon program that assigns social scientists to work with military units in Iraq and Afghanistan has come under sharp criticism from a panel of anthropologists who argue that the undertaking is dangerous, unethical and unscholarly.

The committee, which released the report on Thursday at the annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association, the discipline’s largest professional group, has been studying the program since its inception in 2007.

The panel concluded that the Pentagon program, called the Human Terrain System, has two conflicting goals: counterinsurgency and research. Collecting data in the context of war, where coercion and offensive tactics are always potentially present, “can no longer be considered a legitimate professional exercise of anthropology,” the report says.
    The full 73 page report of the AAA Commission on the Engagement of Anthropology with the US Security and Intelligence Communities can be found here.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Default We want to stay in our comfortable "ivory tower"

I am sure anthropology was around in the World Wars and since 1945, did anthropology have no relevant use then? I suspect not, the subject has not changed, just the people. This type of comment annoys me.
    davidbfpo

David,
    Read Anthropological Intelligence by David H. Price. He does a good job of explaining the history of the antipathy between the military and academic anthropologists, and how it goes back to WW I, based on events going back to the 19th Century British Empire.