Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Terrain & Anthropology (merged thread)

Hi 120,

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Marct and I were discussing novels that addressed "radical Anthropologists" and I've just come upon a gem: David Weber's "Off Armageddon Reef".
    I picked it up when it first came out; now I want the next one .

So, the "Social Scientists" kill everyone who oppose them, and drum up a "religion" to prevent mankind from ever using technology again.

Of course, these "Social Scientists" really don't understand history, religion or technology, so their "religion" is just a straw man, and mankind, after a short millenium is on the cusp of embracing tech again. Add to this a cybernetic organism that several engineers hid from the "Social Scientists" just in case, which is timed to activate after 1000 years, and you have a very interesting novel, which turns the "alternative history" genre on its head.
    He used a similar form of social engineering in the third book of the Empire from the Ashes trilogy (Heirs of Empire), and he and Steve White used it in a much earlier novel Crusade. I get the feeling that he doesn't really like organized religions . Then again, it's a moderately common motif in a fair bit of military SF - look at John Ringo's Legacy of the Alldentata series as an example.

On a related note, I have a feeling that a lot of it comes from a totally different viewpoint, mainly about time. I'm still playing with this, but I suspect that the perceptual time differences between cultures (including occupational sub-cultures) accounts for a large amount of tension between groups.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Hi 120,
    I picked it up when it first came out; now I want the next one .
    You're kidding me. He doesn't have a sequel out? He needs to get off his butt and write one. I'm pumped for the next book, as well.
    He used a similar form of social engineering in the third book of the Empire from the Ashes trilogy (Heirs of Empire), and he and Steve White used it in a much earlier novel Crusade. I get the feeling that he doesn't really like organized religions . Then again, it's a moderately common motif in a fair bit of military SF - look at John Ringo's Legacy of the Alldentata series as an example.
    You know, I see his writing as being very "religion-friendly" despite his obvious negative views of the bureaucratic religious organization. His heroes/heroines tend to have strongly held fundamental religious beliefs, though they are nearly always at odds with "establishment" beliefs.

You're kidding me. He doesn't have a sequel out? He needs to get off his butt and write one. I'm pumped for the next book, as well.
    Nah, he's been "wasting" his time writing a new series with Linda Evans .

You know, I see his writing as being very "religion-friendly" despite his obvious negative views of the bureaucratic religious organization. His heroes/heroines tend to have strongly held fundamental religious beliefs, though they are nearly always at odds with "establishment" beliefs.
    I think he's drawing on a fundamental distinction that really started emerging in the 60's between "spirituality" and "religion". Actually, it's another one of those cases where it's just an update of a perennial debate, in this case between immanentalsm and trascendentalism - is the locus of morality/ethics/what have you inside the individual or outside of them?

Obviously, in most cases, it's a combination if for no other reason than most people need symbol systems to interpret their experiences and these are, by definition, inter-subjective (if they aren't, we call them "psychotic delusional" ). What I think he does do is make a heavy distinction between a hypertrophied system (the bureaucratic "religion" and the fanatics produced within it) and individuals who use the system but interiorize it (i.e. make it their own).
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Default Saudi Anthropologist Advocates Modern Interpretation of Religious Texts

From MEMRI.

Saudi Anthropologist Sa'd Al-Sowayan Advocates Modern Interpretation of Religious Texts, Suggests Swords Be Removed from Saudi Flag
    Video here (may require plugin)
    Excerpts here

I have to wonder how long it will be before someone issues a fatwa on him .
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Post I wouldn't count on that

From MEMRI.

Video here (may require plugin)
    Excerpts here

I have to wonder how long it will be before someone issues a fatwa on him .
    This has become a more and more common thing in the middle east recently and I think those who might be tempted have started to realize if they try that it will very likely backfire and they sure can't afford that.
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Hi Ron,

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    This has become a more and more common thing in the middle east recently and I think those who might be tempted have started to realize if they try that it will very likely backfire and they sure can't afford that.
    Definitely agree that it is becoming moire common - or at least I am seeing more coverage of it, which is not the same thing . Still and all, some of the extremist groups also seem to be issuing fatwas more often - probably all part of the offshoot of increased communications.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Default The Official HTS website

The long-awaited HTS website is available at http://humanterrainsystem.army.mil/index.htm. I will refrain from commenting on any aspects of the design , but let me just say that it is reflective of "institutional design" at it's w.... errr, "best" .
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Post Don't really disagree with that

Hi Ron,

Definitely agree that it is becoming moire common - or at least I am seeing more coverage of it, which is not the same thing . Still and all, some of the extremist groups also seem to be issuing fatwas more often - probably all part of the offshoot of increased communications.
    There is definately more visibility then I've seen before , but on the Fatwa thing I think that they might find out why printing more money when you run out doesn't fix the problem, Darned inflation sucks.

Not to mention the old adage about not making promises you can't keep
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    There is definately more visibility then I've seen before , but on the Fatwa thing I think that they might find out why printing more money when you run out doesn't fix the problem, Darned inflation sucks.

Not to mention the old adage about not making promises you can't keep
    LOLOL - too true! A point strangely brought home by CBC today. It turns out that Salman Rushdie is in town (Ottawa) and I doubt there is much extra security. Any potential irhabis are just referred to one of our local cabs which will just guarantee that they don't reach their target .
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

The long-awaited HTS website is available at http://humanterrainsystem.army.mil/index.htm. I will refrain from commenting on any aspects of the design , but let me just say that it is reflective of "institutional design" at it's w.... errr, "best" .

marct, It sure looks like they eat good overthere

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    marct, It sure looks like they eat good overthere
    To true, Slap! I gotta get me some of that.

And to think that I just had to spend an hour defrosting a pork roast when that was available. 'nuf to make me cry .
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Council Member

Rule one, for neophyte HTTs. If that is mansaf--and it looks like it is--for goodness sake, don't eat it with a spoon. It makes you look such a wuss.

(The proper technique is ball it in your hand, squeeze gently, and pop in your mouth with your thumb. The amount of rice stuck to your hand after is a good indicator of whether you know what you are doing...)

Bonus advice: if they serve it with mukh (sheep's brains), as they sometimes do in Iraq... it is far more palatable when followed by large chasers of araq. In fact, large amounts of araq work with just about anything

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Bonus advice: if they serve it with mukh (sheep's brains), as they sometimes do in Iraq... it is far more palatable when followed by large chasers of araq. In fact, large amounts of araq work with just about anything
    Too true, Rex!! Although, I must admit to a preference for the Turkish version of arak - you know, the stuff that's been sitting in a stone bottle for a century or so . I've often thought that a really good way to do interviews for the HTTs would be to serve a "dinner" .
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

C4ISR Journal has a pretty good quickie story on the HTTs this month too. No online version I could find though.
    Last edited by selil; 05-08-2008 at 01:44 AM.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default I can truthfully say that Iran is the only

country I've been to where I never had a bad meal, not one. Even enjoyed the eyeballs...

Mmmmm... Grabagoat. My favorite!

Default Loss of HTT Member in Afghanistan

From MarcT who is on the road

passed by the USMC IA

For those of you who have not heard, Michael Bhatia has been killed in
    Afghanistan. I do not know if the details provided in the Chronicle story (see here) are true, but have heard nothing to the
    contrary. He is a great loss.

It sounds like his colleagues at Brown and in the UK are setting up
    scholarship funds. When I get detail about that, I will pass it along.
    Blessings and best wishes to Dr. Bhatia's family in this time of loss,

Tom

Default Human Terrain Team Member Killed in Afghanistan

Human Terrain Team Member Killed in Afghanistan

From the Human Terrain System,

It is with deep sorrow that we must inform you of the tragic death of Michael Bhatia, our social scientist team member assigned to the Afghanistan Human Terrain Team #1, in support of Task Force Currahee based at FOB SALERNO, Khowst Province.

Michael was killed on May 7 when the Humvee he was riding in was struck by an IED. Michael was traveling in a convoy of four vehicles, which were en route to a remote sector of Khowst province. For many years, this part of Khowst had been plagued by a violent inter-tribal conflict concerning land rights. Michael had identified this tribal dispute as a research priority, and was excited to finally be able to visit this area. This trip was the brigade's initial mission into the area, and it was their intention to initiate a negotiation process between the tribes.

Michael was in the lead vehicle with four other soldiers. Initial forensics indicate that the IED was triggered by a command detonated wire. Michael died immediately in the explosion. Two Army soldiers from Task Force Currahee were also killed in the attack, and two were critically injured.

During the course of his seven-month tour, Michael's work saved the lives of both US soldiers and Afghan civilians. His former brigade commander, COL Marty Schweitzer testified before Congress on 24 April that the Human Terrain Team of which Michael was a member helped the brigade reduce its lethal operations by 60 to 70%, increase the number of districts supporting the Afghan government from 15 to 83, and reduce Afghan civilian deaths from over 70 during the previous brigade's tour to 11 during the 4-82's tour.

A copy of Colonel Schweitzer's comments can be found at the Human Terrain System web page.

We will remember Michael for his personal courage, his willingness to endure danger and hardship, his incisive intelligence, his playful sense of humor, his confidence, his devoted character, and his powerful inner light. While his life has ended, he has not disappeared without a trace. He left a powerful effect behind, which will be felt by his friends and colleagues and by the people of Afghanistan for many years to come.

Steve Fondacaro
    Program Manager

Montgomery McFate
    Senior Social Science Advisor

Thanks again for posting this, Tom. I find that posting here using a Blackberry just isn't really that feasible .

On a related note, I was at the 2008 Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA) meetings yesterday which are being held at Carleton here in Ottawa. Last night the keynote address was given by Catherine Lutz on Ethnography in an Era of Permanent War. Michael's death wasn't mentioned at all, although she probably didn't know about it. The talk, to my mind at least, was rather disjointed.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Council Member Beelzebubalicious's Avatar

There's a little more info on Bhatia in a Danger Room article at http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/0...in-s.html#more, including an essay he wrote for the Globalist titled, "Shooting Afghanistan: Beyond the Conflict (III)". It's a 3-part series you can access from this link.

Here's a guy who walked it the way he talked it. It's clear he thought he could make a positive difference by working through the HTS and I think that says a lot.