View Poll Results: Who would Patton consider at the best for small wars or battles?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hannibal

3 12.00%
  • Robert E Lee

1 4.00%
  • US Grant

2 8.00%
  • Erwin Rommel

2 8.00%
  • Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

2 8.00%
  • Sun Tzu

2 8.00%
  • Richard Lionheart I

0 0%
  • Alexander the Great

2 8.00%
  • Napoleon I

0 0%
  • John Singleton Mosby

11 44.00%

Thread: With Patton in mind...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think Mosby has it by far - but I'm curious why that devil Forrest didn't make it up there. He was a real SOB, but he was certainly a competent SOB - still voting for Grant though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    I think Mosby has it by far - but I'm curious why that devil Forrest didn't make it up there. He was a real SOB, but he was certainly a competent SOB - still voting for Grant though!
    Forrest is one of the least known American commanders. Whatever his personal attributes and possible war crimes (depending on the account you read), he was possibly the greatest tactical commander this country has ever produced. I can never forget how he tricked a superior union force into surrendering (Forrest's force was half the size) by parading the same troops and cannons in circles to indicate a greater force than Forrest posessed. The union commander thought he was surrounded and surrendered to Forrest without a fight. He was of course shocked to learn he had been had after the surrender had taken place.

I believe Sun Tzu would approve.

Forrest was disliked by the southern gentlemen, and never was really given opportunity for higher commands until near the end. As I recall, he never lost a fight, and never fought with superior numbers. I believe I read an ARMOR article commenting on his unique ability to visualize the battle before the fight, and all of is branches and sequels. Thus when he entered battle, he already had fought it many times over in his mind, and had his forces ready in the right places.

You in Leavenworth now Rob?
    Last edited by Cavguy; 01-05-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?