Thread: Do We Hate America? The Arab Response

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm an Arab however i do not hate America. However, I have disagreed with their past decisions which i believe ultimately lead Iraq into the current mess.

I would love Iraq to develop on the American model rather than the ultra-conservative Saudi Arabia model where funding terrorism is occuring as we speak.

Council Member

After the 9/11 attacks, and given the ignorance that does exist amongst some of our people and given our numbers ( approx. 290 million at the time), the very few assualts on Muslims and muslim property clearly shows that the vast majority of people simply want to get along, provide for their families and have a bit of peace and justice in their lives. We are not nearly as Islamophobic as portrayed nor do the vast majority of Muslims hate us for being who we are.

Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
    After the 9/11 attacks, and given the ignorance that does exist amongst some of our people and given our numbers ( approx. 290 million at the time), the very few assualts on Muslims and muslim property clearly shows that the vast majority of people simply want to get along, provide for their families and have a bit of peace and justice in their lives. We are not nearly as Islamophobic as portrayed nor do the vast majority of Muslims hate us for being who we are.
    The problem is that many in the Arab world hear Pat Robertson and LTG Boykin and think they speak for Americans.

I will say this--I sometimes participate in a politics discussion board that is predominantly South Carolinians. Hence we get a lot of people who are from the Christian right. I've been aghast at how many of those truly do hate Muslims and are convinced that the conflict with Islamic militants is the beginning of armageddon. We can scoff at this attitude, but these people vote. When during the Republican debate this week, Mike Huckabee said, "The conflict with Islamofascism is the biggest threat our nation has ever faced" I fell off my chair. If that is not THE stupidest thing I've heard come out of a politician's mouth, it makes the top 10. For starters, I think the word "Islamofascism" is ridiculously ignorant. But then to contend that Islamic militants are a threat on the level with the Soviets, Nazi Germany, or the Confederacy is, in a word, asinine.

But my point is, this reinforces negative ideas in the Islamic world. As T.X. Hammes says, we provide all the psychological warfare themes that AQ could ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    For starters, I think the word "Islamofascism" is ridiculously ignorant. But then to contend that Islamic militants are a threat on the level with the Soviets, Nazi Germany, or the Confederacy is, in a word, asinine.

But my point is, this reinforces negative ideas in the Islamic world. As T.X. Hammes says, we provide all the psychological warfare themes that AQ could ever need.
    Steve,

You have nailed it, but, as you have pointed out, I fear the problem is that a large percentage of your countrymen do feverently believe in the hogwash that the religious right puts out about Islam (and other belief systems in general).

I know that we don't 'do IO' on our own folks, but if there was ever a case for a public education campaign in some quarters, this is it.

Cheers

Mark
    Last edited by Mark O'Neill; 10-24-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fix typo

I'll come out and agree with Goesh about this in a broad way.

There's a lot of ignorance about Islam and Muslims out there in the US, no doubt about it. However, I think the broad majority of Americans are tolerant and openminded. We tend to get distracted by cable TV and radio ranters, who we must remember cater to a very small audience relative to the total American public.

This recent verdict provides an indication that American juries, for instance, are in no rush to judgment just because the defendants are Muslim and accused of terrorism.

The term "Islamofascism" is blindingly ignorant. Christopher Hitchens tries to argue otherwise here and just looks foolish.
    Last edited by tequila; 10-24-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post
    Steve,

You have nailed it, but, as you have pointed out, I fear the problem is that a large percentage of your countrymen do feverently believe in the hogwash that the religious right puts out about Islam (and other belief systems in general).

I know that we don't 'do IO' on our own folks, but if there was ever a case ofr a public education campaign in some quarters, this is it.

Cheers

Mark
    Mark and Steve,

Agree 100%. Unfortunately this has the aspect of control through fear based on ignorance common to this element. Last week I caught the leader of the Christians for Zionism movement on early morning CNN; same type of demonizing going on there.

Best,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O'Neill View Post
    I know that we don't 'do IO' on our own folks, but if there was ever a case for a public education campaign in some quarters, this is it.

Cheers

Mark
    But that's the crux of the matter both domestically and internationally: even if folks are hearing one narrative through "official" channels, if they're hearing another one at the church/mosque, it's pretty clear which will win out. To me, that's the reason I think our "information campaign" is doomed to failure--we offer the right to vote and a fast Internet connection; the other side offers an eternity in paradise.