Thread: US to debate Turkey genocide bill

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Most folks view the Congressional committee's action as giving in to pressure from Armenian-Americans. But why are they giving in just now? This is not a new lobbying effort.

Here's an off-the-wall variant for everyone's consideration. The action potentially unravels sustainability for continued US operations in Iraq--without Turkey as a pass-through point and interim log/staging base/activity, sustainment of the troops in IZ gets harder. I believe that a whole lot of our base ops support (like Class I, II, and VII) pass through Turkey. I also think a lot of the FMS equipment used to equip the IA follows that path. (BTW, we already have precedent with regard to getting 4ID into the fight in 2003.)

Is the opposition to America's continued presence in IZ trying to use the genocide resolution as a way to sabotage Turkish-American relations and, consequently, a backdoor attempt to get the troops out of IZ?

(Let me specify up front that I do not really believe that this can be what's happening, not because it is too devious an idea, but because it represents too creative a thought process for those in the opposition camp )

(Edit As I read this thread after my posting, it appears that LawVol and I had about the same thought at about the same time. Separated at birth ???? )
    Last edited by wm; 10-12-2007 at 02:42 PM.