Thread: Spying & Spies in the USA (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A new style of turncoat: These days, spying for America's enemies is less about money and more about ideology, By James Bamford. Los Angeles Times, April 27, 2008.
    Today's spy, according to the Pentagon study, is far more likely to use the Internet to contact foreign governments or terrorists and volunteer his services, as if signing up for Facebook. "Since 1990, the use of embassies has decreased," the study says, "while more individuals have chosen a new communications innovation: 13% of volunteers since 1990 turned to the Internet, including seven of the 11 most recent cases since 2000 that used the Internet to initiate offers of espionage."

Obviously, post-Cold War spies are finding new governments -- and groups -- to spy for. FBI agent Robert Philip Hanssen, who passed secrets to Russia for more than two decades, until he was caught in 2001, may be the last of a dying breed. The country of choice for 87% of American spies during the Cold War was the Soviet Union, but by the 1990s that figure had dropped to just 15%.

The focus of spies has now mostly shifted east. The percentage who work on behalf of Asian and Southeast Asian countries has risen from 5% in the 1950s and 1960s to 12% in the 1970s and 1980s, and to 26% since 1990. Cuba, with so many exiles in Florida, has also become a key recipient of American secrets. Al Qaeda has made significant inroads as well -- with one American having stolen and passed classified documents and other materials to aides of Osama bin Laden, and four others known to have tried to spy for the organization or other terrorist groups since the mid-1980s.

Default Outsourcing Intelligence Collection

Why take the risk, when it's so much more lucrative here: http://www.thespywhobilledme.com/
    "THIS is my boomstick!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Bout View Post
    Why take the risk, when it's so much more lucrative here: http://www.thespywhobilledme.com/
    Did you read her novel Vic?

Default Naw, there

was something off-putting about the whole black leather jacket, Berlin wall symbology of her blog photo. I prefer my spies ala Ian Fleming....high heels, poisoned lip stick...
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 02-27-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: x5 posts; 8,919v before merging
    "THIS is my boomstick!"