Thread: Spying & Spies in the USA (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

They also said it unmasks the military's growing role in post-Sept. 11 domestic security and confirms that U.S. officials believe al-Qaeda is active in the United States.
    I don't agree with what the Gunny did, nor the folks that received this classified information, but the article would have us believe the Marine gave it to Buck Fin Laden via US LEOs.

Talk about opening a can of worms. While they should be punished, are we really holding information back from Law Enforcement ?

Do we as a nation expect those to cover our six with no information while our military are abroad fighting ?

The whole story stinks

Default Echo'd in London

There is a case in London, where a career Special Branch / Counter Terrorist detective retired and returned as a civilian employee in the same area. He was identified as having "leaked" a sensitive document to the press, for reasons as yet unknown and rumour suggests he'd "leaked" before.

Yes, different to the California case referred to, but it happens.

The balance between the 'need to know' and the 'need to share' remains. A point well made in the Colin Cramphorn lecture, in early 2007, by Peter Clarke, the UK police national co-ordinator for terrorism investigations. How is secret information on a live threat communicated downwards to the officer on the street?

davidbfpo

Default Link to lecture

Here is the link to the lecture:

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/ima...images/252.pdf

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Talk about opening a can of worms. While they should be punished, are we really holding information back from Law Enforcement ?
    Sad to say they are This even happens within the LE community. It turns into a jurisdiction nightmare.

Council Member

The issue is, as has been proved a thousand times in a thousand different jurisdictions, is that these "leakages" of information are invariably eventually abused by those in power.

And for those who think I am a bleeding heart Liberal, I must add that it doesn't matter which party is in power. The basic issue is that Administrations will use threats regarding "security" to justify any and all intrusions, and this issue is at least 400 years old, it was recognised in the British Common Law as well as the American Constitution.

To put it another way, are you happy to perhaps see Hilary Clinton trolling through your email and sharing details with LEO's?

Sad to see it being revisited, but there you go.....

Default spy ring?

This whole thing stinks....sounds like the Gunny and his cronies who include a few colonels really thought they were doing something very patriotic but I would like to know what this Gunny was doing for the Marines of I MEF downrange in Iraq he should have been doing intelligence work for. I'm glad this ring of clowns was caught but I wonder how many people in the U.S. are passing controlled material to people other than LEO's.

Calling this case a spy ring is a bit extreme. I don't know if spying involves passing information to the same government.... this is more of a security violation than anything else.

Maybe the Posse Comitatus act wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

Default Funny thing....

... for anyone who might think the Gunny as a "uber-patriot", his downfall was the discovery of a cache of war loot he had stolen.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 02-27-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: x9 posts; 8,919v before merging