Here is the US v Soueid indictment; and the DoJ Press Release explaining it (snip of what crimes are charged):

Soueid, aka “Alex Soueid” or “Anas Alswaid,” a Syrian-born naturalized U.S. citizen, was charged by a federal grand jury on Oct. 5, 2011, in a six-count indictment in the Eastern District of Virginia. Soueid is charged with conspiring to act and acting as an agent of the Syrian government in the United States without notifying the Attorney General as required by law; two counts of providing false statements on a firearms purchase form; and two counts of providing false statements to federal law enforcement.
As this is an indictment released by DoJ in the wake of "Fast and Furious", I do take to heart the obligatory disclaimer at the Press Release's end:

The public is reminded that an indictment contains mere allegations and that a defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.
The crimes charged are not based on "new laws" - nor, on any novel interpretations of old laws (from the indictment):

Count 1 - 18 U.S.C. § 371: Conspiracy to Act in the United States as an Agent of a Foreign Government

Count 2 - 18 U.S.C. § 951: Acting in the United States as an Agent of a Foreign Government

Count 3 - 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(a)(6): Material False Statement on a Firearms Purchase Application

Count 4 - 18 U.S.C. § 924(a)(1)(A): False Statement on a Firearms Purchase Application

Counts 5 and 6 -18 U.S.C. § 1001: False Statements
Whether the evidence will back up the indictment's factual allegations remains to be seen.

This seems a probably questionable statement:

from Fuchs
Strange accusations. ....I'd be at a loss to name any German law that he'd have violated if it happened in Germany.
but it's not worth for me an email to Germany to find out.

Regards

Mike