Thread: The British SAS catch all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

The comparison is to two examples of judicial nullification, not an argument that the crimes were equivalent. Obviously, murder (the original charge in Ayala, a capital crime) and illegal possession of a weapon (18 months) are not the same. Do you think I'm so stupid as to contend they are ?
    The answer to your question is of course not, but I wasn't sure where you were going with your comparison. Thanks for clarifying. Bill

Council Member

Default Bill: Admittedly, there is a legal stretch ...

in going from a capital crime down to a lower felony, drawing in this case a $12,500 fine and 5-years probation. I haven't tried to find the sentencing transcript, where I expect the judge laid out the legal reasons for the sentence.

My approval of the sentence was not legalistic - some would say my belief is totally simplistic. We send these young men and women into bad places and worse situations. So, we have to take care of them. I don't ask anyone else to agree with me.

Regards

Mike

Past achievements must never influence a sanction for illegal behaviour. You cannot accumulate legal goodwill that way. There's no rule of law if you could / can, for law simply doesn't recognise accumulated goodwill.
    It only recognises jail time served innocently as accumulated goodwill, and only so to some extent.

I don't think bringing back some minor booty should be a major offence at all, depending on how it was acquired (battlefield pick-up of a Makarov being no problem, taking a golden Saddam gun from a pile of already captured guns is another thing).

Council Member

Default A wisp of humor ...

from Fuchs
    Past achievements must never influence a sanction for illegal behaviour. You cannot accumulate legal goodwill that way. There's no rule of law if you could / can, for law simply doesn't recognise accumulated goodwill.
    It only recognises jail time served innocently as accumulated goodwill, and only so to some extent.
    in a subject matter area that tends to be dreary.

You don't know how funny this really is.

Regards

Mike

An update, one that I know causes some controversy within the UK military:
    Despite his conviction being quashed at the Court of Appeal, military prosecutors intend to hold a re-trial. A preparatory hearing is scheduled at the Military Court in Wiltshire on May 1st to commence this process and Danny will plead not-guilty.
    Link:http://dannynightingale.org/

Oddly the outline of the case only refers to the pistol found, not the rather large amount of ammunition - which I have yet to see an explanation for.

Yes, there is an appeal for donations.
    davidbfpo

David:

338 rounds of pistol ammunition is not a large amount of ammunition. 7 boxes gets lost in most people's garden shed. If it was loose it would get lost in the little drawer in the kitchen where you put things you don't know where else to put. Shoot, 200 rounds is just a good afternoon's practice.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Carl,

I agree that:
    ..338 rounds of pistol ammunition is not a large amount of ammunition...
    He may have a good excuse for the gifted pistol being forgotten, but the ammunition there is no explanation to date. It is that big gap that those UK military I spoke simply could not accept, to the extent of dismissing his entire case.
    davidbfpo