Thread: Abandon squad/section levels of organization?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    That surprises me. I've read (and only read, I have zero practical experience) that the Bren was quite reliable, at least in WWII.
    The built in stoppage reflects the limitations of a mag-fed vs. beltfed. It stops every 30 rounds.

The Bren (and L4) was indeed very reliable. And also very accurate. Often regarded as too accurate for area fire. Mounted on a tripod it had a beaten zone of .303" (or 7.62mm for the L4). I exaggerate, but only a little bit. I think this may have been partly due to a significantly lower rate of fire, at just over 500 rpm. Those aspects made it a very useful light machine gun, leaving the SF role to the Vickers. A GPMG wants to do a bit of both, so there are compromises. I suppose anything that starts with 'general purpose' imposes compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by flagg
    I'm a fan of the new 7.62 Minimi. It's a great tool. It has the firepower of the MAG58/GPMG at reduced weight...while brand new it's quite a good system, I can't help but wonder about longevity much like the C9(5.56 Minimi SAW) near it's end of life the accuracy/grouping capacity was becoming shockingly bad.
    Light MGs like the Minimi (both calibres) obviously attain their reduced weight – and manufacturing cost - by virtue of lighter materials. The compromise is that the gun will rattle to bits a lot faster than a MAG58. That suggests that they should be replaced a lot sooner. Been-counters won't like that, because that would nullify the lower procurement costs.

Quote Originally Posted by flagg
    I wonder if there is a possibility of not just seeing an AR platform purchased here for individual issue, but also evaluating the USMC's recent M27 IAR choice and role in the section/platoon.
    The M27 is really just an HK416, not unlike the standard Norwegian rifle.
    One of the main advantages that its (essentially G36) piston holds over the AR direct impingement tube, is that it is 'frogman friendly'. Fill that skinny AR gas tube up with water and you have problems trying to fire it. That is as I understand it the main reason why Dutch special forces replaced their C8s with 416s.

As for the new Kiwi rifle, I wonder if the army was a step ahead by selecting a direct impingement DMW. Purely speculation, but a new DI rifle might make sense. In which case, look no further. The L119A2 was made especially for us.....I'm sure....
    Last edited by Kiwigrunt; 06-24-2014 at 04:12 AM.
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD