Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
Why? What is so important about squads/sections. How is 30 men organised as 2 x 15 man squads different from 3 x 10 man squads? These squads are not normally acting in isolation of each other, so where do we see clear blue water between the Squads and 30 men (or whatever number you choose) as being 6 x 5 man teams able to form 15 man or 10 man sections or teams?

The 1936-1983 UK Section was a 8-10 man formed into two Fireteams - except they were called the Rifle group (5-6 men) and the Gun Group (3-4men). Occaisonally, when operating in Jungle, the 10 man sections composed three groups - usually a Gun group x 4 men, and two 3 man scout groups.

I hope I'm making sense.
Wilf,

You're articulating your position very well, so yes, you are making sense.

It's just that if I was a green 2d Lieutenant and you gave me six fire teams, some heavy and some light, I would be tempted to habitually group the same teams together into defacto squads of two or three teams each, instead of mixing and matching differently for each contact.

I don't think I'd be alone in doing that either, so now we're back to where we started from.