Thread: Abandon squad/section levels of organization?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    As for your "mix'n'match" proposal Adam, there's nothing particularly wrong with that. I don't see any particular difficulty in reorganizing a platoon or its squads as its commander sees fit to meet the tactical situation. But it seems that a large squad, of 3 teams, and a large platoon of 3 such squads, normally organized along the lines the USMC prefers, works quite well for most conventional infantry combat with little or no major modification.

And in those situations where major reorganization is required to meet less conventional (unconventional?) tactical situations, this organization provides a good, solid base upon which to make necessary changes. I think that a smaller squad, and a smaller platoon might much more hard-pressed to make such changes out of hide, not least because it's starting out with less, and with only 2 rather than 3 teams per squad, it has less flexibility to begin with.
    I know I'm going off topic here, but read what Norfolk wrote substituting brigade for squad and battalion for team.

There have always been times when two battalions were enough. There have always been times when four were needed. Hasn't a three battalion brigade proved to be a good, common sense sized base element to task organize up or down from? I'm talking about line battalions in a brigade. I'm not counting the cavalry squadron.

I remember reading somewhere that in light units some of these new two battalion brigades have deployed with a third battalion attached.
    Last edited by Rifleman; 10-28-2007 at 02:51 PM.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Council Member

Since when did military logic dictate the size of a force?

Thumbs up Heh. too true, too true...

Benefit of 'civilian control.' Good news is that the "Force" allotted will make it work, mostly. If at considerably more cost than was expected...

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Coldstreamer View Post
    Since when did military logic dictate the size of a force?
    Since when did we create military logic?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition