View Poll Results: Should NATO deploy additional military forces to Afghanistan?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 85.71%
  • No

1 14.29%

Thread: NATO in Afghanistan till 2015 (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Your post and your post bring question after question to my mind and I hope you don't mind a short string.

Did the mood or opinions of the Afghans you worked with about these things change during your time?

Were there any differences between the services or the various nationalities about these things?

What did they say when you brought up the importance of these things driving Taliban & company recruitment?

Were there any differences in attitude between senior and junior officers or between spec ops and regular forces?

It is sad that some don't get it after all these years.
    Hey carl, what's up? Sorry for the late reply. Most (if not all) Afghans were for the invasion, and still believe we can salvage a brighter future if we reform certain policies (i.e. air strikes, house searches, detention facilities). My personal opinion is mixed. I was part of a negotiation team which spoke with Taliban delegates about the closing of al-Qaeda camps and handing Osama bin Laden to a "neutral" country. I believed the Taliban were very receptive and sought to avoid tarnishing their reputation by creating a smokescreen through their "fatwas", extolling the faith of Osama and calling him a "mujahid." Most people will disagree with me.

Most of these colleagues have been dismayed by the way this war has regressed to, citing the US' focus on Iraq as being pivotal for Taliban resurgence. Others, particularly native Afghans from the Pashtun south, have been dismayed by the loss of civilian life. Others like Hazara Afghans from the west obviously don't prioritize this the same way but are worried about the so-called "Pashtunification" of Afghanistan.

The American soldiers were generally professional and courteous towards me, although I do speak english and have lived in both Canada and the States, which may have been a factor. I feel there is a sense of frustration, particularly those troops who have experienced combat for so long, and with a great deal spent in areas like Kunar and Khost were violence is rampant. I've noticed that American soldiers involved in some cultural and developmental projects (i.e. opening of a school, enjoying Muslim celebrations with the locals) have a better understanding of their mission and are generally more understanding. I think these activities, which are seemingly unimportant, actually help boost morale. They also improve relations with the locals, which is a HUGE asset in deterring Taliban activity. Even if locals weren't inclined to support us, they wouldn't support Taliban fighters searching for places to launch attacks from.

The US commanders were surprisingly astute and knowledgeable about local terrain, customs, error of their policies, etc. One commander confessed that his hands are tied behind his back when it comes to detention of Afghans; in his mind, half of them were innocent and had no involvement with the Taliban. I have only met one member of Delta force and he was quite an intelligent man, speaking Farsi, Arabic and Pashtu. He was extremely observant about local conditions and the changes in Afghan domestic affairs, and quite receptive to many of the ideas I proposed.

I think the latest pictures released reveal the need for us to step back and reassess our overall strategy in Afghanistan. If we don't, American soldiers will have to pull out.

This is a link to a very interesting article by Kate Clark of the Afghan Analyst Network about the Takhar airstrike in 2010.

http://afpak.foreignpolicy.com/posts...in_afghanistan

There is a radical difference in what the US military and what the AAN and the locals think about the identity of the people who were killed. Ms. Clark says the following about this.
    Dealing with the U.S. military, it has felt like we are from parallel worlds. Their Afghanistan, where knowledge is often driven largely by signals intelligence and reports provided by a very limited number of local informants, with a very narrow focus on insurgent behaviour, and the normal, everyday world of Afghan politics. In the case of the Takhar attack, these two worlds simply did not connect.
    Taabistan said something similar in his post of 3-4-2011.

(I found this article at Free Range International and Baba Tim excerpted the very same quote. I hope he will forgive me stealing it and putting it here.)
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-13-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Cited text in quotes
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene