Thread: "Prime Candidates for Iraq"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good idea Troufion

You got to love that image of somebody "venting" anger and frustration - it sounds so diplomatic

I read Monday that we'd scaled back our diplomatic mission in Azerbaijan because of unrest and it made me think. Given what these FSOs would likely be doing in Iraq - working at the Green Zone, or on a large FOB possibly going out to do some PRT work if they are of the caliber I've known a few to be (vs. trying to do it from inside the FOB - few of those out there too), they would probably be safer with service in Iraq or Afghanistan then in some of the other places we're at. It may just be my mindset, but if you are in a place where you are conscious of the danger, and have the tools around you to mitigate it, then you are better of then being in a place that offers a permissive environment to terrorists, narco-traffickers, kidnappers, organized crime, health risks, etc., but one in which you are ignorant of the dangers and blind to reality.

The world is a dangerous place, and I'm not sure its getting any better. So if you are an FSO and your objection is that DoS is handing out death sentences because its sending you to do your job in Iraq, I'd recommend you reconsider your line of work - maybe take a job with a beltway think tank, work from your house, start up an Internet business or something along those lines with lots of insulation from the dangers of the real world.

Also - these guys are not just getting their GS pay - they are getting that and then some. I'd recommend State start heavily recruiting at the military job fairs, and offering training and good $$$s for those who have served abroad to come in serve abroad again - we're pretty understanding types so we acknowledge that the word "foreign" in the job description means we'll serve where needed, not just where we'd like.

Best, Rob

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    I'd recommend State start heavily recruiting at the military job fairs
    and at AMU.