Thread: Abolish the Air Force

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ender

In your first post you mentioned COIN and then referenced Iraq in your second post. Perhaps I'm reading too much into that, but I get the impression that your argument (and basis for the argument) rests on the current type of war we face. To be sure the AF could adjust fire to better contribute to the COIN fight. I have many ideas on that subject and have shared a few on various threads. However, I think you are perhaps ignoring the big picture.

While our ground forces have retooled themselves for the COIN fight (and have done an admirable job doing so), we cannot forget that the possibility exists that a peer competitor could rise. Yes, I can see the eyes rolling in the backs of some heads now and thinking that this is just AF talking points to justify money. But think about it, do we really want to put all of our eggs in one basket? Can we really afford to ignore even the possibility of a future conventional-style war? I really hope we don't do that because the butcher's bill will be high indeed.

Looking to the conventional fight, no military organization on the face of the earth (present or past) has dominated its sphere of operations better than the USAF. No one can claim the same success. In the roughly 90 years of airpower, the USAF has risen to the top and is not even challenged (although we cannot expect that to last). US seapower has acheived the same dominance but it took considerably more time. Our land forces have not yet acheived that feat (not an insult just fact; there is obviously more at play in the land domain).

In acheiving and maintaining this airpower advantage we offer the expertise that goes with it. While other branches do have pilots and airpower thinkers, complete air dominance is not their raison d'etre. Since it is ours, we've developed faster. Could we train the pilots from other services to do this? Probably, but the AF has the capability now. Moreover, once you remove the single raison d'etre from the equation, the focus changes and capabilities deteriorate as a result.

This leads into unity of command issues. Having an AF allows airpower to be placed under a single command that is an expert in its application. This ensures a concentration of effort so that resources are not wasted by being employed haphazardly or in situations that don't provide the best bang for the buck from a strategic perspective. This becomes etremely important in the strateic attack arena. When or if that peer competitor ever throws down the guantlet, AF strategic attack capabilities will win the day (assuming we stay ahead of the curve when it comes to the development of technologically superior platforms). No one else can do that.

I've reread your two posts several times and am struck by one thing in particular. You referenced a perceived elitist environment within the AF, but have succumbed to this yourself. You obviously think yourself better than Airmen because we "fight in air conditioned rooms" or some other such similar reason. Perhaps if you looked at the situation objectively, you'd realize that there are other aspects to the fight than the grunt with a rifle. After all, since you indicated that an AF guy saved your life, I would think you'd give some credit.

Now, if you want to know about our pools or chow halls, or any rumors about the AF, just ask. I would be more than happy to explain anything within my knowledge to you. I am not ashamed of how the AF takes care of its people. In fact, I think it is a huge selling point. Having grown up around one branch of the military and having served in another before joining the AF, I think I have a pretty good perspective of how people and families are treated. And it gives me a great measure of satisfaction to know that the AF factors the care of troops and family into their planning. I know from the number people from other branches of the service that come to me that other wish this were so in the other services.

I smacked you guys, please don't prove my fears well-founded by at least not politely smacking me back with something of substance.
    I didn't realize this was combative. I also didn't realize I had been "smacked." Maybe this is just macho BS, I don't know. Save it for those pretty co-eds at your school.

Devil, you know as well as I, all of the rumors about the Marine Corps are true. We fight, drink, swear, are generally ill-tempered and I really just want someone to tell me all the rumors about the Air Force (Air Force is to Lawyer as...) are not true and that there really is a distinct capability or aspect the Big Blue brings to the fight that no other branch could do as well or better with the same monies....
    Again, run those rumors by me, I'd love to hear them. Oh, and finish the quote "Air Force is to Lawyer." Maybe I'll actually get a chuckle. And if your jealousy over the pools, gyms, etc. just gets too much to bear let me know and I'll get you some information to help you cross over into the blue (yeah, it's cliche but I like it).
    Last edited by LawVol; 11-15-2007 at 05:53 PM.
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)