Thread: Abolish the Air Force

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by VMI_Marine View Post
    Unlike an ideal professional discussion, we can't hold these over beers, so some snarkiness is needed, IMO, to keep it from getting too dry and haughty.
    Well said, top to bottom.

Well, your first assumption was wrong, but no offense taken.
    I knew I was doomed as soon as "assume" hit my screen.

I'm as proud of my chosen branch of service as the next Marine, but I think we have a tendency to delude ourselves and exaggerate our own "greatness."
    Boasting does not help and I agree there is a great bit more Yut with the Corps than there needs to be.

We've had some great tactical and operational victories, but there have been very few instances where the Marine Corps was strategically decisive in American history.
    Agreed, but how many times does one have to be singularly, strategically decisive before you become vital?

As a retired SgtMaj at the Institute once put it, "America doesn't need a Marine Corps, America wants a Marine Corps." I'd ask you to expound on your statements, but I think we've hijacked this thread enough.
    I would consider this more of an indictment on a me-centered "I want what I want, forget what I need generation" and an astute sociological compliment to the Corps than a slam on our viability. Sounds like the SMaj knew his audience... I agree on the digression and our need to come back to center but as First Digressor (er?) I would be more than willing to elaborate some of my opinions for you offline. I think I can back this one up historically and would welcome getting slapped down if I can't... I have to confess many of my opinions re: this subject center on not what happened, but what almost happened or the "near misses" so at the end of the day your conversion to my point of view would be largely dependent on accepting certain (factually based) hypotheticals and us running from there...
    Last edited by Ender; 11-22-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Typo