Thread: Semper Fidelis

Default Semper Fidelis

I love the Corps,
    Give me a chance and I'll sign for 4 more.......

Happy Birthday Marines!!!!

Default I'll drink to that!

Happy Brithday Guys!

(and I was NOT on the Alfred)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    (and I was NOT on the Alfred)
    Yeah, we know Ken, you were on the Bon Homme Richard

Did they count your time in the French Indian War so was that your 3rd or 4th enlistment on the Bon Homme Richard?

The best day of the year.

Contrary to popular belief the Marines doesn't make you a man. It makes you a better one. Life takers and heart breakers... Semper Fi.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default Happy Birthday Marines

Semper Fi - Dave

Council Member

Thumbs up Semper Fi

Hi!
    All the best and take care!
    God speed!
    Respectfully,
    George

Default The Marines Birthday

Happy Birthday, Marines !

Someone should post the history behind this great day, so here's a paragraph or two:

Formal commemoration of the birthday of the Marine Corps began on 10 November 1921. That particular date was chosen because on that day the Second Continental Congress resolved in 1775 to raise two battalions of Continental Marines.

On 1 November 1921, General Lejeune, 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps, issued Marine Corps Order number 47, series 1921. The Order summarized the history, mission and tradition of the Corps, and directed that it be read to every command on 10 November each subsequent year in honor of the birthday of the Marine Corps. This order has been duly carried out.

Semper Fi, Stan

Default Don't Let Anyone Tell You About the 'Old Corps' Today

Back in 1775, in Tun Tavern, recruiting started for the new Marine Corps. The very first Marine enlistee came in, signed the papers and took an oath. He was then told to go outside and wait for the other enlistee’s to go through the process. They would assemble later on the front yard.

After a few minutes the second enlistee came out and had a seat on the steps, beside the first. The first man looked at the second and began, "Son, let me tell you about the Old Corps."

Here is Lieutenant General John Lejeune's Message...

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Since that date, many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the Birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our Corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the nations foes. From the battle of Trenton to the Argonne. Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term Marine has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.
    Last edited by SWJED; 11-10-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added Gen. Lejeune message

Council Member

Default From one old soldier

Happy Birthday Marines!!!!!!

Semper Fi

JohnT

Just cruising the web looking for birthday thoughts, came across this (4 Dec 06 entry). Go Deb:

Marines. God Bless them. I can't imagine any group I'd rather spend time with. I know exactly what Eleanor Roosevelt, meant when she said back in 1945, "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"

Council Member

Happy Birthday, USMC. And thank you ALL for the freedoms I enjoy.
    God bless.

Ken

Council Member

here's looking at you doggies, flyboys and squids - when the chips are down we can count on you and you can count on us - so hoist your glasses high and F*** 'em all but 7 - 6 to carry my carcass and 1 to count cadence

Default Ooh Rah!!!

Once a Marine, always a Marine! As I do every year, I made a toast to the Corps. I hope you all enjoyed the birthday. Semper Fi.
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Default Here is to the Service that

1) got me out into the world

2) provided me opportunity

3) taught me to appreciate my country

4) made me a shellback

5) showed me what was possible

6) provided me unparalleled memories of my youth

7) set a foundation for leadership

Semper Gumbi - Rob

God bless the Corps. I'm still recovering from the Ball and associated events afterwards ...

The War quotes thread brought this one back to me that more properly belongs here:

Today, you people are no longer maggots. Today, you are Marines. You're part of a brotherhood. From now on until the day you die, wherever you are, every Marine is your brother.

Most of you will go to Vietnam. Some of you will not come back. But always remember this: Marines die. That's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever.
    Last edited by tequila; 11-13-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: to add moto quote

Probably the biggest regret I have in life is not joining the Marines (one of those things about youthful pride and not being able to get a scout/sniper slot with glasses...). Now I'm just looking for a Navy ROTC job so I can have a chance (however small) to give something back to a great group of individuals who are a part of something bigger than anything else out there. Semper Fi!
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War