Thread: Agility, Adaptability and Innovation: the Art of the Counter-Punch

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Agility, Adaptability and Innovation: the Art of the Counter-Punch

Agility, Adaptability and Innovation: the Art of the Counter-Punch

SWC member Terry Terriff and I were had a great discussion Saturday over a pint or two on just what agility, adaptation and innovation are – it’s a subject he’s spent allot of time thinking, interviewing and writing about - its also a subject I like to consider. This is something we’ve talked around on other threads – from the “Great Generals” to “Adaptation” and others. It applies at the tactical through the operational through the strategic, gets into leadership, organizational structure, doctrinal philosophy, etc.

Terry if the beer got the better of me - and I mis-characterize something please make the correction - as for everyone else - your thoughts on this will only add to the discussion - we just need to figure out a way to create the "pub" atmosphere online

On pint #2 the discussion was really going Terry described “Innovation” as the steps taken to create and sustain the broader climate or atmosphere in which “Adaptation” takes place – this affords us greater mental “Agility” in identifying changes in the operational environment so that we shorten the adaptation loop, and seize the initiative on a broader scale. This reminded me of something I’d heard DR. Ed Coss who teaches the History piece out at FT Belvoir ILE course describes as the “Art of the Counter-Punch”- the ability to understand what the enemy is trying to accomplish, how he is trying to accomplish it, where he has over-extended himself and is now vulnerable but may not know it until its too late to recover – and you are able to position yourself to exploit that in some fashion that provides you advantage – Again this fits with my reading of Ole dead Carl – or you can pick your military philosopher/theorist.

So there is the Agility - Adaptation/Counter Punch and combination hook/uppercut/block/strong cross follow up which arguably we can do at the “double time” at the tactical level, “quick time” at the operational level, and maybe “half time/mark time” at the strategic level.

So what about large scale “Innovative Change” – or to continue with the boxer analogy - the kind that might let you see it or feel it coming before it happens and be there first? The kind that might let you gauge the effect of the emotion of the crowd, the space available within the ring, the history of both the enemy and yourself, the will to win the object in view by both your opponent and yourself (and those who support you), and the host of other external pressures on both you and your opponent. This is something that is often collectively called "the Art of War" because it defies the types of defining and precise calculations that accompany science. Keep in mind that as complex as this situation may seem – our boxer if translated to represent our self is somewhat schizophrenic – being composed of multiple parties with sometimes opposing interests.

So the questions are why and can we do better? Why - I think has something to do with bureaucracy and the conditions it creates at higher levels – can we do better has something to do with our willingness –often driven by external threats or common interests that allow us at least temporarily work together.

Don’t restrict this thread to just the subject as it presents itself – this is one of those that might have to be worked around – using an “Indirect Approach” to get to some thoughts on it. I hope Terry will pick this one up – he has a great deal of interesting things to say on this and continues to devote allot of gray matter to it – I just thought it was such an interesting and valuable discussion that I wanted to broaden it to the rest of the SWC that did not have the opportunity to discuss it over beer – which is where most good conversation happens.

Cited works – the new book which Terry co-edited – which he gave me a free copy yesterday – “Global Insurgency and the Future of Armed Conflict –Debating fourth generation warfare” – available pretty soon I suspect from Routledge books and I suspect darn well worth the read. I’ll also cite the beer and the Sport’s Bar where the pints were consumed and the discussion took place – they all seemed to go together well.

Best, Rob
    Last edited by Rob Thornton; 11-04-2007 at 08:00 PM.