Thread: Alive In Baghdad

Default Alive In Baghdad

Check this out - Alive in Baghdad is a site run out of Philadelphia, PA - the posts are filmed by local journalists in Iraq on digital handy cams - then sent to Philly in about 4-5 days - there is a wide variety of films from everyday life to the political. Imagine if there was the means to do this there via the Internet (connectivity, the network, the hardware, the software) - putting these tools in the hands of the individual citizen provides basic expression of freedoms. Something to consider.

Best, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    Check this out - Alive in Baghdad is a site run out of Philadelphia, PA - the posts are filmed by local journalists in Iraq on digital handy cams - then sent to Philly in about 4-5 days - there is a wide variety of films from everyday life to the political. Imagine if there was the means to do this there via the Internet (connectivity, the network, the hardware, the software) - putting these tools in the hands of the individual citizen provides basic expression of freedoms. Something to consider.

Best, Rob
    Pretty much the same as YouTube and webcams, isn't it? Anyone with a high speed connection or access to an Internet cafe in Iraq could do it.

Hey Steve,

I don't think so - I just checked out a couple - its not just clips - its journalism. The webcams and such on You Tube seem devoid of context most of the time - they are mostly just raw content. It could just be me - but I think this is pretty well done. Sitting down and looking at some of these if you've not done tactical operations there that get you into people's houses and talking to them puts a different face on people. This could be used in conjunction with cultural primers - I think its also devoid of the usual types of bias we see in MSM - having said that all journalism has some bias associated with it - its natural - I'll have to watch a few more, but since they are not so established - they may not be so controlling - i.e. get me a story that we can spin like this. Also - I think there is something to the quality of access available - when our commercial ISP in Mosul was about to run out we were checking on how much it would cost to re-establish - it was cost prohibitive for us - so if you think of an inter-net cafe - where multiple folks are running their machines - your connectivity is probably limited to uploading cell phone vids.

Best, Rob
    Last edited by Rob Thornton; 11-04-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    The webcams and such on You Tube seem devoid of context most of the time - they are mostly just raw content.

Best, Rob
    You must not have watched the most popular video on YouTube.

Check out this one about the Iraqi Journalist killed in Heavy Traffic. The way the journalist has gone back and filmed a similar set of conditions to go with the explanation of how he thinks it went down provided by the dead woman's father is way above anything else I've seen. The films are diverse and remind me of many documentaries. Consider the risks from both AIF and from US forces who might perceive them as conducting an AIF recon - they are are risking their lives to tell this story. That Iraqis are willing to take this own to me seems they are getting their confidence back, and are willing to participate. There is allot here about how others see us, and how we see ourselves.
    Best, Rob

Dude - that was scary - even scarier though - I thought you were sending me the "Hillary" link

Default You son of a, ah, gun

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    You must not have watched the most popular video on YouTube.
    Why did you post a link to that? Worse than waterboarding I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SWJED View Post
    Why did you post a link to that? Worse than waterboarding I think.
    That's a good point: someone needs to ask Mukasey whether he thinks Brit or K-Fed should get the kids.

Council Member

Default Attitudes In Iraq

Readers may be interested to read the latest BBC/ABC et al polling survey of Iraqi attitudes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7296117.stm