Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liveblogging from Vegas

Default Bill Roggio, BlackFive, Uncle Jimbo, Mr. Wolf, Eric Egland, Mark Roberts With Hugh He

Hugh concludes his two days from Blog World Expo with milbloggers Bill Roggio, the three BlackFive contributors, Eric Egland, and then final Godblog comments from Mark D. Roberts.

35 minute interview click here to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannoneer No. 4 View Post
    Hugh concludes his two days from Blog World Expo with milbloggers Bill Roggio, the three BlackFive contributors, Eric Egland, and then final Godblog comments from Mark D. Roberts.
    I used to work with Eric Egland at IED TF (pre-JIEDDO) and that is one of the sharpest cats I have ever met. Incredibly perceptive about a number of subjects, able to integrate those subjects into wider theoretical and practical solutions, and just a damn fine gentleman to be around. Losing him to the legislative branch is bad juju for us, but if he makes it, you could be seeing the birth of a political career that could radically alter government in the next 10-20 years. Keep your eyes peeled on this one.

Incidentally, Cannonneer, I adore your blog. You and MountainRunner are at the top of my Google Reader everyday. Every time I get angry emails from my family and friends about our tired state of governmental affairs, I send 'em a link to your site and tell 'em to get busy livin', or get busy dyin'.
    Tenere terrorum,
    St. C

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
    ---Socrates

Default Disagregated Information War

I'll be very clear here: if it hadn't been for milblogs, I mean the hundreds out there, not just the popular, I would have been as surprised by the "sudden" decrease in violence as the media, the politicians and the rest of the public.

I would add that, while some "undecided" may have been put off by the obvious intent, but, how I see it, it's just a small part of the whole, pushing back against the wave. Milblogs are not meant to supplant any other information system or be the influencer for any and all.

For me, some milblogs rounded out the information gap, explained some military things that I, as a civilian, didn't understand (like ranks, formations, interaction of different units and what they did specifically). So, I believe that someone was correct to say that these blogs were an enhancer for understanding and basically a morale booster when I was down.

Reading the small, individual blogs about what soldiers were experiencing personally also supplemented by knowledge of the Iraqi and Afghan people, their culture, language, etc as well as the first inklings that winning wasn't just shooting, but "mud huts and chai tea".

So, milblogs have their place. They aren't the saviors of the info war, but they are definitely a tool. think about how many fake stories, photos and claims have been outed and pushed back by milblogs. I haven't kept a tally, but it's over 10. I mean, we're talking about alleged missiles fired into a Pashtun village house full of people that turned out to be a paki 155mm arty shell that had never been fired.

The only issue is that it takes awhile to get the media outlets who post them to respond, though that may get faster as certain individuals or groups get a reputation for accuracy. Right now, by time the media responds to outing of these stories, millions already see them and the media does do very good retractions when they've been exposed to fake pictures and stories. They are usually defensive.

Another problem with the "information war" question.
    Kat-Missouri

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    I used to work with Eric Egland at IED TF (pre-JIEDDO) and that is one of the sharpest cats I have ever met.
    Have you seen Step to Victory No. 6? I blogged that last year from the TQ Mainside MWR.

I do appreciate the positive feedback. Right up there next to MountainRunner, huh?

Default Mary Katharine Ham

In Vegas, Baby!

Good video.

Eric Egland interviewed at 04:14