Thread: Economic Warfare

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default oil market

Oystein Noreng is a professor and petroleum economist at the Norwegian School of Management. After the '91 the Norwegian government tasked Professor Noreng to study to the relationship between Islamist movements and the oil industry in the Middle East and North Africa. This resulted in the publication of his book Oil and Islam: Social and Economic Issues in 1997. While I have not read the book, I have read a speech of his on some of the findings, and consider this an appropriate thread to share it.

Noreng also recently gave a speech at Flynt Leverett's Geopolitics of Energy Initiative at the New America Foundation titled: Restructuring World Economic Power Relations through High Oil Prices. I think it is particularly relevant to this thread.

Finally, I have come across two particularly good newpaper items:
    Oil's Recent Rise Not as Familiar as It Looks: Traders, Not Political or Supply Concerns, May Be Pushing Fuel Toward $100, By Steven Mufson. Washington Post, November 5, 2007

Transcript: Interview with IEA chief economist, Financial Times, Published: November 7 2007.
    Fatih Birol, chief economist of the International Energy Agency, interviewed by Ed Crooks and Javier Blas of the FT

Perhaps oil/gas deserves it's own thread? I some connections to small wars in the past, and in the foreseeable future. Albeit a particularly sensitive topic imho.

Council Member

Default more about oil

Here is a note giving links to valuable presentations about Peak Oil, and how to prepare for it.

As a followup to the link bourbon gave to the FT interview with the IEA Chief Economist, I recommend close attention to the comments of the International Energy Agency's officials (I posted a link to their 2007 Outlook below). They are being increasingly alarmed by developments in the world's oil supply.

In the next chapter or so in my series of blognotes about Peak Oil, I'll discuss the theory that oil prices are rising as the Saudi's keep the tap tight. For the past two years they have said that world commercial oil stockpiles are too large. Perhaps they have taken action to "fix" this problem. OECD stockpiles (as of, I believe, July) are just now down aprox to their five year average.