Thread: Terrorist Finance (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The illicit goods trade and it's links to crime/terrorism

For my undergrad poli sci class we have to write a final paper and my prompt is on the worldwide illegal illicit goods trade. Which deals with everything from knockoff parada bags, sunglasses and pirated movies to bogus medinces, auto/aircraft parts, as well as illegal arms, and even humans themselves. Now in my paper I want to deal with this particular trade's links to organized crime and terrorism. However I haven't been able to find many useful sources in the academic library here at the college and the same goes for the internet also.

So I was wondering if someone would mind pointing me in the right direction in terms of finding sources?

Thank you,
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-03-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Thread moved to RFI

Default Places to visit

Kevin,

This blogsite often comments on the links between crime and terrorism, albeit with a focus on just a few places: http://counterterrorismblog.org/ There is a recent story from The Guardian on cocaine into West Africa and AQIM. A fellow blogsite worth trawling is: http://www.investigativeproject.org/ and www.nefafoundation.org

I have commented before on this reported overlap: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...?t=6290&page=3 'Mice & Men' thread and http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=6806 'Gangs & Insurgencies'.

Try Europol: http://www.europol.europa.eu/index.a...home&language=
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-03-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Adding links slowly
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin23
    For my undergrad poli sci class we have to write a final paper and my prompt is on the worldwide illegal illicit goods trade. Which deals with everything from knockoff parada bags, sunglasses and pirated movies to bogus medinces, auto/aircraft parts, as well as illegal arms, and even humans themselves. Now in my paper I want to deal with this particular trade's links to organized crime and terrorism. However I haven't been able to find many useful sources in the academic library here at the college and the same goes for the internet also.....
    RAND published a study earlier this year, Film Piracy, Organized Crime, and Terrorism
    This report presents the findings of research into the involvement of organized crime and terrorist groups in counterfeiting a wide range of products, from watches to automobile parts, from pharmaceuticals to computer software. It presents detailed case studies from around the globe in one area of counterfeiting, film piracy, to illustrate the broader problem of criminal—and perhaps terrorist—groups finding a new and not-much-discussed way of funding their nefarious activities. Although there is less evidence of involvement by terrorists, piracy is high in payoff and low in risk for both groups, often taking place under the radar of law enforcement....
    The study was funded by the Motion Picture Association, thus the focus on film piracy. However, as the quoted intro blurb states, the study ranged across a wider range of pirated goods than simply films. You may find some sources cited at the end of the book that could be of use - you could also attempt to contact the authors individually and discuss their insights and sourcing.

Terrorist Precursor Crimes: Issues and Options for Congress. CRS, May 24, 2007. (PDF)

Congressional Research Service reports are excellent primers on issues, and for undergrad homework. Most can be found at FAS. Google Scholar and Google News Archives (example) are also invaluable tools for basic undergrad research.

One of the more lucrative illicit schemes in the US for by terrorist financing groups involves tax fraud through tobacco smuggling, see:
    Tobacco and Terror: How Cigarette Smuggling is Funding our Enemies Abroad, Prepared by the Republican Staff of the U.S. House Committee on Homeland Security. (PDF)
    Last edited by bourbon; 12-03-2009 at 06:32 PM.