Thread: Terrorist Finance (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by relative autonomy View Post
    ...Do you know of any economic analysis any work similar to this that you think is superior?
    No. I'll just quote Rex here:

More broadly, I think there is an interesting phenomenon whereby a variety of audiences--politicians, policymakers, the press, the public, even new CT professionals--look for an easy, engaging, sweeping diagnosis and answer to current security challenges. In my view, not only is it NOT that easy, but the real pay off is in understanding precisely the complexities and variations at work.

The operational funding of terrorist networks and autonomous cells is a very complex issue that also encompasses such diverse subject areas as transnational organized crime, diaspora funding of insurgent movements, narco-and-human trafficking, black markets - both local and transnational, etc. To truly understand all of the above in the context of any specific terror organization also requires a baseline of knowledge about that organization's operational structure and the environment in which it operates.

Rather than seeking a single tome with all the answers, I suggest good old fashioned research and study. It would probably help if you initially narrow your focus and try to study in-depth just one aspect. Look over what's available from official sources, such as EuroPol, FinCEN, the GAO, NCJRS, etc. etc. as well as looking over products from the wide spectrum of private entities. The people who show up at Congressional and Senate hearings on the subject often have interesting things to say - and the transcripts are almost always available on-line. As an FYI, Tamara Makarenko is one author who has written a great deal of substance on transnational organized crime as well as its links - existing and potential - with terrorism.
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 11-11-2008 at 02:32 AM.