Thread: History of the Jews in Iraq

Default History of the Jews in Iraq

Iraqi Jews constitute one of the world's oldest and historically significant Jewish communities. It was to Babylon that the Jews were exiled around 600 BCE. The descendants of these exiles ensured that Babylonia became the most important Jewish community after the Roman destruction of Jerusalem. With the rule of the Ottoman Empire, the life of Iraqi Jews improved, though the community never regained its former importance. Iraqi Jews played an important role in the early days of the country's independence, but the Iraqi Jewish community, numbered at around 120,000 in 1948, almost entirely left the country in the wake of increased persecution, most of them repatriated to the new state of Israel. Today, fewer than 100 Jews remain.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...e_Jews_in_Iraq

Most of the 10,000 Jews remaining after Operation Ezra and Nehemiah stayed through the Abdul Karim Qassim era when conditions improved
    I wish Iraq will regain again one of its' historical communities. I hear that some of the Jewish prophets are buried in Iraq (tell me please if i'm wrong).

If the security situation keeps improving Jews from Israel should be allowed to visit them for pilgrimage - God willing.

Baghdad to Tel Aviv anyone..

Well, provided that Abraham was from Ur, I'd say that Iraq has a very key role to the Jewish People. And the story of Eden most probably is from Southern Iraq.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Well, provided that Abraham was from Ur, I'd say that Iraq has a very key role to the Jewish People. And the story of Eden most probably is from Southern Iraq.
    Sort of close - originates from Dilmun actually (modern-day Bahrain and environs - especially those now under the Persian Gulf).

I was having lunch on Wednesday with a monk from NYC who has lived in the Mediterranean and the Middle East for decades. Although I had been aware of some of the legends surrounding Eden/Dilmun and some of the archeology in southern Iraq/ancient Sumer, he explained to me some of the finer points of the ancient writings that influenced the ancient Hebrew/Jewish religious experience and perspective. For example, I had not been aware that the Sumerians (the city of Ur - Abraham's home city - being the most famous of their city-states) stated quite plainly in their own writings that their knowledge had come to them from Dilmun.

In short, he provided a brief but fascinating account of the origins of Jewish religion and Jewish perspective.
    Last edited by Norfolk; 11-17-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Default I'm not a Wiki fan per se

Hey ali_ababa !

I found several sites following the 'links to Iraqi-related Jewish sites' here.

1948 Jewish population: 150,000
    2004: Approximately 35
    Regards, Stan

Quite an old article but i love it - enjoy.

"During the Shia festival of Muharram we would take part in the procession and along with our Arab friends, beat our chests to remember the epic battle of Karbala," said Yakov Reuveni, remembering his youth in 1940s Iraq.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6611667.stm

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by ali_ababa View Post
    Baghdad to Tel Aviv anyone..
    Get a taxi from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem. Find an Arab who'll drive you to the crossing at Allenby. Get another Taxi to Amman, and then get a taxi to Baghdad. Theoretically possible.

I crossed from Jordan to Israel at the Allenby crossing last year. The Jordanians were courteous and charming, even separating me from the Palestinians for "my own safety". - in sharp contrast to the Israelis, who were suspicious, terse and searched everything not twice, but thrice!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition