Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
Penta, the report does not suggest that US Forces become involved in the Drug Trade, it says we should buy up all the production and either use it in the medical field or destroy it. That is smart. And it is not new as was pointed out in the report. This was done in the Golden Triangle Region in SE Asia until we stopped it.
Okay, I did miss that. Thanks.

Fear, though: The guys out in the bush, confronted by the massive profit potential of the drug trade, give in to temptation and mark it as destroyed, while returning it to the illegal flow. Wasn't that part of what happened in SEA? (Vietnam being...rather before my time, I'll admit uncertainty on the point.)

Do I think it likely to occur? No. But do I think it a possibility that we need to think about? Yes.

You might think I'm worrying over nothing.

Meanwhile, my instincts tell me to note even the unlikely issues and ponder them.

Hopefully, you're right, and I am worrying over nothing. But I'm not naive. Pretty much anybody has a price.

Additionally, this seems like one of those things that...It might very well be tactically sound, but present the proposition to the guy on the street.

I think most people would be horrified, or just think you nuts.

We might be able to justify it among ourselves, but could we really justify it unabashedly to Joe and Jane Public?