Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
But consider US law on this topic: "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Key words are "right" and "duty." Under the law, a right is something that cannot be taken away; and a duty is something that one must do. In this case that right and that duty are to rise up in insurgency.
. . .

The defense of these ideals, and others like them, are why I put on a uniform every day, and there is no detainee in the world worth compromising them over.
Maybe I'm picking nits, but the last time I checked, the Declaration of Independence was not US Law. Also I think that rights and duties, as used in the Declaration, are moral, not legal, concepts. However, I concur that the ideals the Declaration espouses are noble and ought to constrain how the US conducts itself vis-a-vis other nations, whether viable or failing. I hate to think of the US as being lumped in the same category as HRH George III of England and his ministers.