Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
Maybe I'm picking nits, but the last time I checked, the Declaration of Independence was not US Law.

You may be right, but we probably talk way too much these days about "the rule of law." The fact is that the rule of law, or blackletter law, has never been adequate in providing justice. I had a contracts professor who was as brilliant as he was ecentric, and his area of specialty was "Equity," or the common law. Concepts such as "good faith" and "fair dealing" are central to the concept of equity; and are a hedge against black letter law that at times leaves little room for "justice" in its pursuit cleancut right and wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_(law)

So, though I may be completely wrong on this, I am very comfortable in taking the positon that our "law" is the totality of many things; and just as legislation is defined by both regulations and case law, so to do items like our declaration and even the uncodified express intent of lawmakers and judges contribute to the laws of this land.

"rule of law" is a good soundbite, but it leaves a lot on the cutting room floor.