Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
One key to remember is that insurgents, by definition, are a part of the populace.

As to the larger question of why 40% of the foreign fighters in Iraq are Saudi Citizens, 20% Libyan, and 20% Algerian (per open source); these guys really need to be sent home, or perhaps granted asylum as many are probably insurgents at home.
I pulled these two out of the larger, as again, I am most concerned with the disposition of the detained today. It would seem that we have a conundrum. We rightfully invade a nation and then commit to developing it back into a sovereign nation. While we are there, we make a bit of a mess while solving many of the nation's other woes.

The insurgent, as you point out above is not necessarily a member of the larger populace. Syrians, Libyans, et al, were found all throughout Iraq in the insurgency. While they would have been considered enemy combatants under force on force operations, we find ourselves treating them more as criminals. These criminals, in turn require disposition.

Turning it completely to the HN is likely not going to be a success as I would define it (conviction of the defendant), and therefore to me cannot be a viable COA. In turn, UN oversight is likely not possible given the fact that some detained were so detained on the basis of US classified data (I suspect, no personal knowledge). Further, I am not crazy about UN oversight as it strikes our credibility. Again, I don't suspect that we will find resolution here.