Thread: Terror Attacks

Default Terror Attacks

I'm looking for a website that tracks/lists terror attacks throughout the world that provides some information besides date/time/casualties. The one's I'm finding aren't up to date. Thanks in advance.
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Quote Originally Posted by LawVol View Post
    I'm looking for a website that tracks/lists terror attacks throughout the world that provides some information besides date/time/casualties. The one's I'm finding aren't up to date. Thanks in advance.
    So you're saying that SITE doesn't have what you want?

Here's another data source:

MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Banned

Check out CREATE: The National Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events at USC. Here's a link to their research library: http://www.usc.edu/dept/create/research/reports.htm

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by J Wolfsberger View Post
    Here's another data source:

MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base
    Very interesting site--thanks for posting the link. It even includes the incident when my step-grandmother was hijacked

Playing around with their numbers and summaries, however, I'm struck that Africa shows only 1,168 incidents and 3,688 fatalities since 1968. Yet the daily number of deaths during the Rwandan genocide exceeded that, and the Janjaweed or LRA (among others) have alone contributed far more incidents and deaths than the MIPT database shows for all of Africa over four decades.

Part of the reason is a definitional one--they have excluded mass killings by the state or its proxies as terrorism (Rwanda, Darfur), and to have only partially counted civil wars (Algeria, Congo, etc.). Moreover, these databases are driven by media reports, especially Western media reports. Typically it takes one civilian death in Europe or Israel/Palestine, 5-10 in Afghanistan or Iraq, 10-20 in Sri Lanka, and 50+ in sub-Saharan Africa to even make the news. (I'm guessing at the numbers, of course, but you get what I mean.)

For some purposes these sorts of databases are very useful. For any kind of quantitative analysis of trends and correlations, they're not.

I guess I need to bruch up on my web research skills. Thanks for the links. One of my professor's sent this link:

http://www.globalincidentmap.com/home.php
    -john bellflower

Rule of Law in Afghanistan

"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli (from The Prince)

Council Member

I guess I need to bruch up on my web research skills. Thanks for the links. One of my professor's sent this link:

http://www.globalincidentmap.com/home.php
    That website, along with much else, has been previously discussed in the Google Earth thread.

Another interesting website that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet (perhaps because it is still in the emergent stage): Tracking the Threat.

...and slightly more narrow in focus is the MIIS Center for Non-Proliferation Studies CBRN Incident and Response Database. (Registration required)