Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Classic tale

What a great example of inter-dependence from the FP article, my emphasis:
    Electricity consumption usually spikes over the summer, as people turn on their air-conditioners to cope with the seasonal heat. But this year, many Chinese appear to be braving the high temperatures to economize. China's ports are piled high with coal that should be roaring in the country's power plants.... Now it looks as if China has imported more fuel than it needs, as hard-pressed citizens, businesses, and factories cut their electricity consumption in order to reduce their bills.

The national price of coal has already dropped 10 percent since late last year. This drop could further dent the global economy, which would in turn cool demand for Chinese exports even more. That's globalization for you: A Chinese person turns off the air-conditioning, and the world economy catches a cold.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

China has territorial claims to nearly 20 countries

Burma, Laos, Northern India, Vietnam, Nepal, Bhutan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, the Ryukyu Islands, 300 islands of the South China, East China and Yellow Seas, as well as Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Taiwan, South Kazakhstan, the Afghan province of Bahdashan, Transbaikalia and the Far East to South Okhotsk - here is the complete list of areas that, according to Zedong, were lost due to the fall of the Qing empire.
    Any territorial dispute, but rather, its resolution, is a serious precedent. If China’s claim in respect of at least one territory from the list of the "lost" is satisfied, the Chinese machine would be unstoppable. Despite the fact that the Chinese are very pleased to partner with Russia and have always supported Russia in the UN Security Council, in person, on the sidelines, its diplomats supposedly jokingly hint to their Russian colleagues: you must understand that soon you will have to share the Far East?
    http://english.pravda.ru/world/asia/...rial_claims-0/

Default Irredentism...

one of those things that make for good neighbors...or is that fences?
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

China accuses West of hindering Syria peace efforts, repeats call for non-military solution

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...f71_story.html
    China is ballistics over the West's attempt to what it feels 'regime change'.

Is what is happening in Syria a West sponsored activity or is it a genuine uprising?

It is understandable that China would be against all uprisings since it has two troubled regions in its own country that are also tinderboxes requiring a mere spark.

However, China should not forget that before accusing the West, it needs to ponder about the assistance given to uprising elsewhere, even if they pretend to be holier than thou!

Council Member

Although the Chinese officials didn’t mention the United States by name, their charges apparently targeted Washington, which has openly said Assad needs to go.
    Ray,

I think the Chinese may be half right when we make statements like this, but of course the Chinese aren't saying this for altruistic reasons. There can't be settlement when an ultimatum is presented, so a peaceful resolution (assuming it ever was possible) is definitely out of reach now.

I find it odd the Chinese would think we would support something like this, it is a no win situation for anyone, but then again I guess we have set a precedent for acting irrationally in the region.

None the less the Chinese continue to demonstrate to the world they are out of step with the general political and social trends, so they simply isolate themselves further and become less effective on the global stage.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I find it odd the Chinese would think we would support something like this, it is a no win situation for anyone, but then again I guess we have set a precedent for acting irrationally in the region.
    I don't think the Chinese really believe that, but they know that given our reputation for meddling, that message will seem credible in a lot of places.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    None the less the Chinese continue to demonstrate to the world they are out of step with the general political and social trends, so they simply isolate themselves further and become less effective on the global stage.
    We've also seemd out of step on many occasions... and much of the world views the Chinese as less inclined to meddle and intervene in support of their own interest than the US. I'm not sure the balance of perception is altogether in our favor.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken