Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

[QUOTE=Global Scout;32488]JeffC,

Hi Global Scout

While I enjoyed the paper, I thought it was inconclusive and I am not exactly sure what your point was.
    My primary point was that China will most likely become the world's next Superpower, while my secondary point was that the U.S. should pay attention to its own fragilities in that regard (partricularly it's growing reliance on foreign nation's owning our debt, and our nation's declining Science and Math graduates).

For example, China, and several other countries, are modernizing their military, and of course the U.S. Special Operations is seen as especially effective, so they'll adapt that model where it fits.
    The underlying point for my example of China's modeling of U.S. Special Operations Command techniques is that China is leveraging what we do best as a means of rapid development for their own nation's advancement. They follow that method across the board: technology, education, military, consumer goods.

My point is you could have selected a number of countries and have basically written the same paper with minor changes.
    I don't believe that to be the case. China's in a unique position due to it's enormous population with its undeniable attraction as consumers for global companies, the size of its military, it's nuclear capability, it's scientific community, and the fact that it currently holds almost US$1.5 Trillion in foreign debt (and that's expected to continue to rise). None of those factors can be duplicated by any other nation except possibly India, and that to a much lesser extent.

I'm not arguing with your facts, but with your slant. China may be a looming menance to our national security, but this paper was not convincing. I think a serious counter argument could be made that China is very fragile on a number of levels, militarily, politically, and economically.
    That's fair, and accurate. China isn't a Superpower yet, and it does face serious problems, although I don't believe that any of them are insurmountable.

My main concern with some of the skeptics that I've read regarding China is that they seem to think that acknowledging China's rise to power is somehow un-patriotic. If history teaches us anything about the rise and fall of nations, it's that a great nation (like the U.S.) takes its position for granted at its peril. In my opinion, in order for the U.S. to remain a great nation, it needs to use clear vision in viewing both its own troubles (and fixing them) and its competitors' strengths. I don't see that happening as often as it should.

I still enjoyed the paper though, thanks.
    My pleasure.
    Last edited by JeffC; 11-25-2007 at 08:23 PM.