Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Does my post appear that I find the West 'arrogant'? If that is the impression, then I apologise since that was not the intention.

[...]

US is not 'arrogant'. It is just that the US wants to impose its will forgetting the sensitivity to local realities. In the long run, it puts those in government in a tight spot as they are seen to be always giving way to the US perspectives at the cost of the local requirements.
    Ray, thanks. Sorry if I misunderstood your original comments about the West. What you say makes sense. Do you think China is arrogant? If my questions are becoming wearisome, please don't hesitate to not reply.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Backwards Observer View Post
    Ray, thanks. Sorry if I misunderstood your original comments about the West. What you say makes sense. Do you think China is arrogant? If my questions are becoming wearisome, please don't hesitate to not reply.
    Are you a Chinese or a Tibetan?

Your earlier avatar was Tara as is portrayed by Tibetans.

Hans have always been historically arrogant.
    Han Chinese culturalism arose to distinguish between the culture of the Han, or inner people (nei ren) and the ‘barbarians’, the outer people (wei ren).......

The Chinese distinguished between ‘raw barbarians’ (shengfan) or the unassimilated people and the ‘cooked barbarians’ (shufan) or assimilated taxpayers who enjoyed the fruits of Chinese culture. For example, Han Chinese officials separated the ‘cooked’ Li of the coast of Hainan, who enjoyed the benefits of Chinese civilisation, from the wild ‘uncooked’ Li of the central forests, far from the influences of Han culture.......

Barbarians were given generic names in the Chinese classics and histories: the Yi barbarians to the east, the Man to the South, the Rong to the west and Di to the north (when westerners arrived by sea, they were officially designated until the late 19th century as Yi). Until the 1930s, the names of outgroups (wai ren) were commonly written with an animal radical: the Di, the northern tribe, were linked to the Dog; the Man and the Min of the south were characterised with reptiles; the Qiang was written with a sheep radical. This reflected the Han Chinese conviction that civilisation and culture were linked with humanity; alien groups living outside the pale of Chinese society were regarded as inhuman savages. To be labelled a barbarian was a cultural rather than racial distinction.......
    Han Culturism

And therefore, is it a surprise that China claims that it has 92% of its population as Hans?

Most of the so called Hans are assimilated people by coercion, humiliation, inter marriage and so on that occurred when the people of the Middle Kingdom (zhong guo), which began by ruling the Central Plain (zhongyang) invaded the South, West and so on and converted them as Hanhua.
    Last edited by Ray; 06-14-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Are you a Chinese or a Tibetan?

Your earlier avatar was Tara as is portrayed by Tibetans.

Hans have always been historically arrogant.

Check this out:

Han Culturism
    My ethnic background is Hakka Chinese and Anglo-Australian. Both are known throughout the world for their superlative humility. As a so-called 'half-breed', my personal humility is of the most profound order.

My experience with the Han people suggests that what may be construed as arrogance is perhaps a woefully misinterpreted joie de vivre.

My use of the avatar function may be charitably described as loosely contextual.

Thanks for asking.
    Last edited by Backwards Observer; 06-14-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add words

Council Member

Hakka means 'guest'!

But great cuisine!

Not half breed, since that is not polite. Mixed parentage would be appropriate.

Actually, the people of mixed parentage (like the Anglo Indians and there are many in Australia) are tougher and go getters. And have no hang ups.

Good chaps actually.

My school days were with these chaps and I miss them.
    Last edited by Ray; 06-14-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Hakka means 'guest'!
    Tell me about it. 'Always the bridesmaid, never the bride'...or something.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Backwards Observer View Post
    Tell me about it. 'Always the bridesmaid, never the bride'...or something.
    The Chinese invasion, migrations, assimilations are too complex to know exactly.

The case, as some would say, the bridesmaid demanding that they are the real brides!!

Some claim that Hakka origin is from the Xiongnu nomadic people.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The case, as some would say, the bridesmaid demanding that they are the real brides!!
    So you've met Hakka people before, I see. I want half! Also must give free gift! (Anecdote): I was at the hawker stalls with a relative and the noodle-seller lady started talking Hakka to us (which I don't speak). I asked my relative if the lady would give us a discount because we were all Hakka. He said, "You kidding? She'll charge us extra!" Maybe this is just Hakka humour, I don't know. Nee tung ai kong sen!
    Last edited by Backwards Observer; 06-16-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: add smiley just in case