Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    The fact is the State of China is seen as more legitimate than any government in the West. The people view the State as the representative and protector of China's great culture.
    All 1.3 billion of them? What's the basis for that assumption?

China's huge domestic economic and political problems seem often underrated in conversations on this topic

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    IMO what makes China scary is they don't believe in any of that "Invisible Hand" Bullsheet that is spewed from American business schools. China has a planned program for success.......we give tax breaks to rich people as our policy for success......we may be doomed
    You think the rich in China don't get tax breaks? Have you any idea of the scale of corruption in that country?
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    You think the rich in China don't get tax breaks? Have you any idea of the scale of corruption in that country?
    I work for a company that has a rather large factory in China and soon one in Cambodia for that matter, so I am somewhat familiar with the corruption problem as in big country, big population, big corruption.

Link to 60 minutes piece on China's Real estate bubble H/T to Fab Max for posting it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjwh...layer_embedded

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    All 1.3 billion of them? What's the basis for that assumption?

China's huge domestic economic and political problems seem often underrated in conversations on this topic

Dayuhan, I think you posted elsewhere that you couldn't access videos in your location, something to due with the nice tropical weather interfering with your bandwidth The speaker actually goes into a fair amount of detail on why he thinks the Chinese view their government as legitimate and points out it is not near as centralized as most of us think. He does point out that most Chinese identify themselves as Han, so those that don't like Tibetans, Uyghers, etc. don't share that view. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with his argument, simply posted it for consideration.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Dayuhan, I think you posted elsewhere that you couldn't access videos in your location, something to due with the nice tropical weather interfering with your bandwidth The speaker actually goes into a fair amount of detail on why he thinks the Chinese view their government as legitimate and points out it is not near as centralized as most of us think. He does point out that most Chinese identify themselves as Han, so those that don't like Tibetans, Uyghers, etc. don't share that view. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with his argument, simply posted it for consideration.
    I do have a hard time loading videos, and I'd also really rather read, if the matter is at all serious. I have read various perspectives on the subject. Any time you start talking about what "the Chinese" collectively think of their government you're on thin ice: in China, as everywhere else, there's a spectrum of opinion. There's certainly a sense of renewed nationalism and pride; the government gets a fair bit of credit for that and tries very hard to promote it. There's also a whole lot of anger and frustration, much of it directed at local governments, over corruption, rising inequality, an increasingly unliveable environment, and many other things. There are conflicting currents and opinion can swing very quickly. To put it's simply, it's way too complex to write off with a simple statement of what the Chinese think.

I do think the Chinese government is very deeply concerned with the possibility of domestic unrest, and that when growth starts to stutter they may rely on jingoism to sustain support. Thay also know that's dangerous.

It's complicated, like a lot of other things.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

Vietnam Accuses China of Firing Flare at Fishermen

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...html?ref=world

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said China had taken unspecified but "legitimate and reasonable" actions against Vietnamese boats working illegally in Chinese waters. He denied that any boats had been damaged, but gave few other details.

There have been other clashes in the waters, often related to claims of illegal fishing or violations of Chinese unilaterally imposed fishing moratoriums.

Vietnam and China each claim large parts of the South China Sea. The Philippines, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei also maintain that parts of the sea are theirs.
    The dangerous drift towards world war in Asia

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...r-in-Asia.html

After talking to Japanese officials in Tokyo over the last few days, I have the strong impression not only that they are ready to fight, but also that they expect to win, and furthermore that conflict may come at any moment.

"They are sending ships and even aircraft into our territory every day. It is intense provocation. We're making every effort not to be provoked but they are using fire-control radar. This is one step away from conflict and we are very worried," said a top government official.
    An interesting perspective, the article also discusses what the somewhat limited control that the PRC government has over its military.

Professor Huang Jing from Singapore University and a former adviser to the People's Liberation Army (PLA) says a rising cadre of officers has slipped the leash and picked up attitudes all too like the Japan's firebrand officers in the 1930s, when they defied orders from Tokyo. He said these young bloods are on a "collision course" with the US-dominated global system.
    Apparently some in China think now is the time to act due to the U.S. being over stretched in the Middle East.

What frightens me most is talk from certain quarters in Beijing that the US is a busted flush, bled dry by the financial crisis, crippled by military over-stretch in the Middle East, and that now is the moment to test the paper tiger.

This is a fatal misjudgement of course.

After talking to Japanese officials in Tokyo over the last few days, I have the strong impression not only that they are ready to fight, but also that they expect to win, and furthermore that conflict may come at any moment.
    Professor Huang Jing from Singapore University and a former adviser to the People's Liberation Army (PLA) says a rising cadre of officers has slipped the leash and picked up attitudes all too like the Japan's firebrand officers in the 1930s, when they defied orders from Tokyo.
    The difference of course is that if the PLA slips the leash and has a go at Japan, they will not be dealing with fading colonial powers that are distracted by threats closer to home. They'd be taking a bite at one of the best equipped and most professional navies on the planet, and there's a very good chance that at least initially they would take a severe spanking. China might prevail by attrition in an extended conflict, but an extended conflict would not be easy for China to manage either, especially if it involved major interference with trade.

H.L. Mencken

Wars are easy to start.

Something the US should keep in mind as we define our relationships with key partners and allies. Currently we have empowered and emboldened far too many foreign "tails" to wag the American dog and drag us into wars we would never start on our own, and that are not in any way in our interests.

It would be an epic tragedy of misplaced loyalties if some day Iran and the US, or China and the US, or North Korea and the US found themselves much like England and Germany in 1914, wondering how things had somehow come to this between them.

We help our longtime allies and partners more when we posture ourself to be an effective mediator of small (but important) points of friction far more than we do when we simply commit to back their every play with a blank check of American influence, blood and treasure.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Wars are easy to start.

Something the US should keep in mind as we define our relationships with key partners and allies. Currently we have empowered and emboldened far too many foreign "tails" to wag the American dog and drag us into wars we would never start on our own, and that are not in any way in our interests.

It would be an epic tragedy of misplaced loyalties if some day Iran and the US, or China and the US, or North Korea and the US found themselves much like England and Germany in 1914, wondering how things had somehow come to this between them.

We help our longtime allies and partners more when we posture ourself to be an effective mediator of small (but important) points of friction far more than we do when we simply commit to back their every play with a blank check of American influence, blood and treasure.
    So, I got a question. The Red Chinese have been doing their best to shove around Japan at sea for some years now. According to Bill Moore's info above Japan figures things are getting worse. Now say Red China and Japan start shooting at each other. Do we back the Japanese or not?
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene