Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
And how do you feel about risk of conflict with China causing US to hand over Hawaii to China or equivocating over the obligations of treaties in context with the South China Sea?
However, I believe that such risk is badly overstated by some for their own purposes. The US politicians do it to garner headlines; the US media prate on about it to generate headlines and the US State Department responsible for equivocating over treaties worldwide excels at vacillation in an effort to justify their jobs. China and others (?/) also feed it for their own purposes. IOW, ho hum, another day, another 'crisis.'
On one hand, I find brave words against intolerance to threats, and in the very next, there is abdicating of the same for the sake of not raising the risk of conflicts and even going to the extent of handing over a part of the US to buy peace!! (not you, though).
No, not me because I was a soldier, not a politician or a newsman. I repeat my suggestion that most of that prating is best ignored. If one does read it, one should note that collating it will indicate a truth somewhere between the poles. JMA and his agenda not withstanding (smart and good guy but he's still really upset with us for not adequately supporting Rhodesia back in the 70s when he was a hard charging Lieutenant...) the US will, like every other nation, do what it perceives as in its interest in accordance with the adminstration of the day's whims -- we American do whims and we do not do continuitiy...
I am not suggesting that there be war. But to avoid war, it does not mean one cowers frightened into the corner.
I agree. I think most, not all, Americans would also agree. Whether the government of the day -- or tomorrow -- also agrees (I think most will, to what extent is unanswereable) is time and circumstances dependent. Then again, one man's cowering is another's prudent avoidance and yet another's tactical ploy.
Very confusing message.
Yep. By design or accident, it is that -- it's the American way. Shifty folks, we. Get misread all the time...