Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    Call me silly but I still think something's funny and I haven't figured out what the joke is yet.
    Ron, take it from me that the only way it'll end up seeming funny is after the water torture is over.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    Good thing nobody's planning on invading the sovereign space of China, and of course they only want this capability for defensive and not expeditionary purposes.

At least that's what you hear all the time. Call me silly but I still think something's funny and I haven't figured out what the joke is yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    Ron, take it from me that the only way it'll end up seeming funny is after the water torture is over.
    It's nice to know I'm not alone in that thought.

Adam L

Council Member

ASPI, 28 Apr 10: China's Maritime Strategic Agenda
    This Policy Analysis makes the following arguments about China’s maritime strategic agenda:

1. China has legitimate and growing maritime interests, and increasingly will plan to safeguard those interests independently.

2. The PLA Navy aspires to the ability to undertake operations far from home, but bluewater capabilities are not the main focus for China’s naval development.

3. China’s maritime strategic focus remains on the semi-enclosed and other narrow seas of East Asia.

4. China’s East Asian maritime preoccupations, not its occasional bluewater forays, are of greatest strategic significance. They pose direct challenges to the US sea‑based alliance system and the regional order that the system underpins.

Council Member

Thre biggest issue on many of these papers is a lack of referencing. There is a serious lack of translation of open source Chinese defence material so most of these reports tend to rehash the same material. The US Navy War College being the exception.