Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    What's needed is a reasonable, affordable strategy to manage that situation, and fear is a poor basis for building a reasonable, affordable strategy.

What would you have us - or anyone - do?
    Why on earth would you want to manage the situation unless you feared it would get out of hand? Fear is reason you pay attention in the first place.

First thing I would have us do is recognize that the ChiComs are right bastards and when right bastards get hold of a lot of weapons, talk about taking part of the ocean over, shove people around on a regular basis and run the biggest espionage operation in the history of the world, there is a real possibility that they will cause trouble in the future. According to the article I referred to a few posts back, the fight over that is going on right now inside the beltway.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Default the east is read

South Asian countries cashing in on India, China competition

BEIJING: Competition between India and China in the region has helped Nepal and other South Asian countries to balance their ties with the two big powers and benefit from both, a write up in a state-run Chinese daily here said.

"The triangular relationship among Nepal, China and India is a subtle one. Both China and India are indispensable to Nepal's economy," a commentary in the Global Times said today.

"Nepal is restrained by these two big economies, but it can also help bridge the two Asian giants' communications. Nepal can spur China and India to compete with each other and expand their clout in neighbouring countries," it said.
    South Asian countries cashing in on India, China competition - Indiatimes - May 10, 2012

NEW DELHI: As the Philippines braces for anti-China protests on Friday, India has stepped into the hottest South China Sea dispute to counsel restraint.

In an unusual statement that signals India's growing interests in South China Sea, the MEA on Thursday weighed in on the growing dispute between China and the Philippines. Admitting Indian concern about the events, the MEA spokesperson said, "Maintenance of peace and security in the region is of vital interest to the international community. India urges both countries to exercise restraint and resolve the issue diplomatically according to principles of international law."
    India steps into Philippines spat over South China Sea - Indiatimes - May 11, 2012.

India is likely to withdraw from an oil block in the South China Sea after hydrocarbons did now show up in an exploratory well, said government sources. Officials here have conveyed to Vietnam plans to terminate operations on commercial considerations, said the sources who knew about the talks.

The block has been at the centre of much diplomatic bad blood among China, Vietnam and India that included demarches, summons and affirmations of sovereignty over the same patch of sea.

The sources said the move to shut operations, that should relieve Beijing which was locked in another maritime dispute in the same sea with the Philippines, had been conveyed to South Block and the Petroleum Ministry but a decision would be considered final only when the state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Commission Videsh Limited (OVL) approached PetroVietnam for permission to stop operations. That stage had not been reached, they said, while Indian officials said they were not sure whether OVL had written to the Indian mission in Hanoi and asked it to formally convey the request to Vietnam.
    India finds oil drilling off Vietnam a losing proposition - The Hindu - May 11, 2012.

Given China's military cooperation with Pakistan to ‘contain’ India, New Delhi must work to strengthen its own security ties with friendly Asean capitals.

There are multiple layers in China’s approach to relations with India. At one level, there is a Chinese recognition of India emerging as a power that cannot be ignored and that Chinese interests are served by being seen to have a cooperative relations with India, in forums like BRICS and the G 20. These links are chosen to sometimes describe India as having an “independent” foreign policy, even as concern is periodically voiced, over growing US-Indian strategic ties. This ostensibly positive approach is balanced by heaping ridicule on India, or making threatening noises, whenever India enhances its space and missile capabilities, or seeks to bolster its defences along its borders with the Middle Kingdom. But, above all, there is a dominant theme of ‘containment’, in China’s policies towards India.
    Look East for friends - The Pioneer - May 10, 2012.

Council Member

Backward

A fair set of responses overall. As far as your generalised assumptions about the Chinese, I'm no expert but I'm under the impression that there are Chinese people in communities all over the world, not just in China. You often draw no distinction between any of these communities. You seem unable to even consider that Chinese people exist as individuals, perhaps even in China, and may differ from one another in their beliefs and outlooks. On the one hand you state that expats may not even understand countries that they have resided in for a number of years. How is it that you claim such an intimate knowledge of the outlook of over a billion people which you manage to lump into a single category?
    In this thread, when one alludes to the Chinese, I take it that it means the ‘Mainland Chinese’ or ‘Red China” Chinese or the ‘Communist China’ Chinese and not Chinese all over the world.

Indeed the expats could have different viewpoints and can be individuals, but it is not this forum alone that I visit which gives the impression that though they are expats, they are fiercely ‘nationalistic’ when the issue of Red China comes into play, no matter which flag they fly.

Take the Olympic Flame issue. Chinese all over the world, contrary to the popular international protests, closed ranks to ensure that there their (Han) support for Red China, including in Australia where I presume you reside.

Here are some example of how expat Chinese don’t indentify or understand the local sentiments of the countries they reside in and instead put their Han identity above all!

Australian police have been given powers to search relay spectators, following a call by the Chinese Students and Scholars Association for Chinese Australian students to "go defend our sacred torch" against "ethnic degenerate scum and anti-China separatists".

Tony Goh, chairman of the Australian Council of Chinese Organisations, has said the ACCO would be taking "thousands" of pro-Beijing demonstrators to Canberra by bus, to support the torch relay.[150] Zhang Rongan, a Chinese Australian student organising pro-Beijing demonstrations, told the press that Chinese diplomats were assisting with the organization of buses, meals and accommodation for pro-Beijing demonstrators, and helping them organise a "peaceful show of strength"
    ("Chinese rally in Australia to guard Olympic flame", Rob Taylor, The Guardian, April 16, 2008)
    ("Olympic torch sizzles in Australia", Sid Astbury, The Independent (South Africa), April 17, 2008)
    ( "Chinese in Australia vow to defend Olympic torch from pro-Tibet 'scum'", Nick Squires, The Daily Telegraph, April 16, 2008)

Now, it does show how expat Chinese understand the Nations they residing in!

Also, if you have visited Singapore, you would realise that the Singapore Chinese gush over Red China rather than gush over multitracial Singapore.

It is not just news reports but also interaction beyond the boundaries of India!

What does the direct expression of my opinion have to do with either magnanimity or the opinions held in China?
    I would not know.

You mentioned that personally you would support the Independence of Tibet and Taiwan.

I merely stated that in the cyberspace one can ride any high horse to look good!

You complain that my answers are too often neither here nor there. When I answer directly you choose to subtly disparage. Why bring up Tibet in your previous comment if your follow-up to the response is "forget about Tibet"? What does that say about the subconscious?
    You brought up the issue of Tibet and trotted out your magnanimous thought that would find solace to His Holiness The Dalai Lama.

If I said forget about Tibet, I meant it is a side issue and a mere digression from the real issue.

I am not going to trawl the posts, but quote it direct, and I will clarify, if indeed there is the necessity!

Which is interesting given that you somehow manage to evade actually answering the question. You wrote that values are important. So what are the values that you consider important? Are these values consonant with the manner in which you address people who disagree with you on this forum? Since directness is your strong point, do you feel that any of the views you hold of the Chinese are based on either bigotry or ignorance?
    I don’t evade or undertake linguist gymnastic callisthenics that you do.

Values?

Does one have to trot out values that are known from childhood, and are ingrained in not only Oriental societies by also western?

My view of the Chinese attitude and their action, since you ask, is that whatever they do is copybook to their attitude towards Han cultural values and attitudes being superior to all. That what the Chinese do is practically bequeathing to the world the beauty of ethereal values that the others are ignorant of.

Don’t take my word for it.

Check the links provide my JMM and others. You will find a deep streak of cultural arrogance even when ‘inventing’ history.

Even the attitude of the expat Chinese in Australia (check the links given by me) indicate a cultural arrogance of the Hans that overrides the national feeling of the locals and genuine natives of the countries.

Take the attitude in Tibet (see, it comes back!) and in Xinjiang. In Xinjiang, the Muslims who undertake Ramzan are told that they will lose their jobs if they follow their religious rituals! Does smack of cultural Han arrogance if nothing else!

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Many of your posts directly argue for the containment of China and present evidence that you consider this to be exactly what is happening. Now you seem to be saying that containment is only the feeling of China?
    Being on guard is not ‘containment’.

Or is it?

If so, how?

Council Member

Dayuhan

That's actually kind of funny. Communism thrives best when banned. You presumably know that we have the world's longest-running communist insurgency in place. You wouldn't, of course, know that I live in a place widely known as a hotbed of sympathy for that insurgency, but that is the case... not to mention that the performance of communist regimes on a global level is a matter of public record. I don't feel terribly ill-equipped to comment.
    Another popular myth that Communism thrives best when banned.

In India, in the beginning, Communism was banned. It did not thrive.

When the ban was lifted, it was a surprise that India had the first democratic elected govt in Kerela!

Underground movements seek sensation ‘victories’ that are reported in the media. They hardly can do much to implement what they wish to achieve.

Al Qaeda excites the media because it is mystical and lethal at times. But that is about all. If they were that popular and had the potential, they would be ruling the Moslem world!

Sympathy for a cause does not equate to public support to change a system.

We all sympathise for the poor people reeling because of poverty, but that does not mean we stop living our lives and donate everything to the poor and in the bargain join their ranks!

Communist sub-states can survive and even thrive, though Communist states generally haven't, unless (as China) they abandon much of the communist economic system. They sometimes thrive for unexpected reasons. When I was spending a lot of time in Dubai I often noted the odd symbiosis between arch-capitalist Dubai and communist Kerala. Kerala had the education system to provide the mid-level managers Dubai needed, but Kerala had no jobs for them. So Kerala survived by exporting its educated populace (no only to Dubai of course, but there was a huge concentration there), and Dubai got the workers it wasn't willing to produce on its own (though given its population that wasn't purely a matter of policy.
    Your comment is in a timewrap about Kerela and Dubai.

The Communists lost power in Kerela long back.

What Kerela export is labour to Dubai.

The educationist that you find in Dubai is not just Kerela, but India. John Mason, of my school is a legend in Dubai’s education. He is an Anglo Indian. My daughter also taught there and the teachers were from all over India!

And the Kerelaites (Malayali to be precise) and the Sikhs are all over India and abroad. The joke goes that when Neil Armstrong (the first astronaut to land on the moon) landed on the Moon, he was greeted by a Malayali and a Sikh. The Malayali took him to his teashop driven by the Sikh taxi driver!

Of course there's no altruism on either side, but that doesn't mean the US is influenceing Vietnam. I don't see one party influencing the other in that relationship, I see two parties cooperating to advance what they see as mutual interests. Vietnam has similar relationships with India and Russia; again I don't really see influence in either direction in those relationships.
    As the Americans say – There is nothing called a Free Lunch!

Cooperation and mutual interest are polite words for influence peddling and making it stick!

I take it that the world leaders don’t jet every now and then to various foreign land only to pick up ‘Frequent Flyer Miles’!

Again, if you look at the data there's little evidence of consistent increases in military spending, beyond what you's expect as leaders loosen the purse-strings after a global crisis. The Philippines is increasing, but from a base so low that even after the increase they'll still be the lowest spenders in the region.
    I thought you were debating about Asia and defence spending.

You now seem to have narrowed it down to Philippines.

It is not that the global leaders who are loosen purse strings. It is just that the Asian countries regretfully are loosening as much as they can to gear up to defend their territorial sovereignty and balance their mere budgets rather than being wiped out and learn Mandarin to survive thereafter!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Backwards Observer View Post
    South Asian countries cashing in on India, China competition - Indiatimes - May 10, 2012

India steps into Philippines spat over South China Sea - Indiatimes - May 11, 2012.

India finds oil drilling off Vietnam a losing proposition - The Hindu - May 11, 2012.

Look East for friends - The Pioneer - May 10, 2012.
    What exactly is the message you wish to convey?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Backward

In this thread, when one alludes to the Chinese, I take it that it means the ‘Mainland Chinese’ or ‘Red China” Chinese or the ‘Communist China’ Chinese and not Chinese all over the world.

Indeed the expats could have different viewpoints and can be individuals, but it is not this forum alone that I visit which gives the impression that though they are expats, they are fiercely ‘nationalistic’ when the issue of Red China comes into play, no matter which flag they fly.

Take the Olympic Flame issue. Chinese all over the world, contrary to the popular international protests, closed ranks to ensure that there their (Han) support for Red China, including in Australia where I presume you reside.

Here are some example of how expat Chinese don’t indentify or understand the local sentiments of the countries they reside in and instead put their Han identity above all!

Australian police have been given powers to search relay spectators, following a call by the Chinese Students and Scholars Association for Chinese Australian students to "go defend our sacred torch" against "ethnic degenerate scum and anti-China separatists".

Tony Goh, chairman of the Australian Council of Chinese Organisations, has said the ACCO would be taking "thousands" of pro-Beijing demonstrators to Canberra by bus, to support the torch relay.[150] Zhang Rongan, a Chinese Australian student organising pro-Beijing demonstrations, told the press that Chinese diplomats were assisting with the organization of buses, meals and accommodation for pro-Beijing demonstrators, and helping them organise a "peaceful show of strength"
    ("Chinese rally in Australia to guard Olympic flame", Rob Taylor, The Guardian, April 16, 2008)
    ("Olympic torch sizzles in Australia", Sid Astbury, The Independent (South Africa), April 17, 2008)
    ( "Chinese in Australia vow to defend Olympic torch from pro-Tibet 'scum'", Nick Squires, The Daily Telegraph, April 16, 2008)

Also, if you have visited Singapore, you would realise that the Singapore Chinese gush over Red China rather than gush over multitracial Singapore.

It is not just news reports but also interaction beyond the boundaries of India!
    The original question is in regard to your comment that for Chinese money is the supreme happiness. Do you feel that this statement is a generalisation when applied to over a billion people? If you feel that a single statement about the thought processes of a billion people is not a generalisation, say so directly.

I would not know.

You mentioned that personally you would support the Independence of Tibet and Taiwan.

I merely stated that in the cyberspace one can ride any high horse to look good!

You brought up the issue of Tibet and trotted out your magnanimous thought that would find solace to His Holiness The Dalai Lama.

If I said forget about Tibet, I meant it is a side issue and a mere digression from the real issue.

I am not going to trawl the posts, but quote it direct, and I will clarify, if indeed there is the necessity!
    This is the entirety of your post #380:

You will not understand that money is not all in life.

To a Chinese money is everything and the index to supreme happiness.

Not so to people who still have religion and religious beliefs.

That is why you find it problematic in Tibet where you are shovelling in money.

It is difficult to explain to you Chinese.

Check any forum.

The Chinese are surprised why the Tibetans are rebelling when their materialistic lives have improved manifolds!

No, to many around the world, religion and religious solace and religious ethics matter.

Money, wealth and power is not all.

Values are also important!

India has not backed off from Iran, in case you did not know. Check Indian news!

Yet, we are still with the US on the major issues!
    Your post above was, I presume, a response to my question about whether international trade facilitated an aggressive policy of hegemony on the part of China. The post seems to have little to do with the question. If Tibet is a side issue why have you raised it here? What does the posting of an article about the Dalai Lama's views on the communist party have to do with magnanimity? When you say, "you are shovelling money, or "you Chinese" here, have you made any distinction between the mainland or other Chinese communities?

I don’t evade or undertake linguist gymnastic callisthenics that you do.

Values?

Does one have to trot out values that are known from childhood, and are ingrained in not only Oriental societies by also western?
    You stated that values are important. If you feel that mentioning that "values are important" is sufficient without describing what they are that's up to you.
    As you point out, anyone can ride their high horse on the internet.

My view of the Chinese attitude and their action, since you ask, is that whatever they do is copybook to their attitude towards Han cultural values and attitudes being superior to all. That what the Chinese do is practically bequeathing to the world the beauty of ethereal values that the others are ignorant of.

Don’t take my word for it.

Check the links provide my JMM and others. You will find a deep streak of cultural arrogance even when ‘inventing’ history.

Even the attitude of the expat Chinese in Australia (check the links given by me) indicate a cultural arrogance of the Hans that overrides the national feeling of the locals and genuine natives of the countries.

Take the attitude in Tibet (see, it comes back!) and in Xinjiang. In Xinjiang, the Muslims who undertake Ramzan are told that they will lose their jobs if they follow their religious rituals! Does smack of cultural Han arrogance if nothing else!
    My question was if you felt that any of your views on the Chinese are a result of bigotry or ignorance. If not, say so directly.

Being on guard is not ‘containment’.

Or is it?

If so, how?
    You don't recall posting that you thought China needed to be contained or was being contained?

Council Member

Indian navy warships to sail through South China Sea

New Delhi: India's warships will be on a two-month-long deployment in South East Asia, visiting ports in the region and passing through the South China Sea -- which China claims as its backyard threatening in the past warships of other nations from entering the area.

http://news.in.msn.com/national/arti...ntid=250005924

What exactly is the message you wish to convey?
    You wrote, "Check Indian news!". I posted some articles from Indian news that seemed relevant to the China situation. If you are looking for a 'message' in every article posted, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Council Member

You wrote, "Check Indian news!". I posted some articles from Indian news that seemed relevant to the China situation. If you are looking for a 'message' in every article posted, I'm not sure what to tell you.
    I did not ask you to post Indian news as if you were a Secretary.

Surely comments would have been in context!

What are those links relevant about?

What has there being no oil where India is drilling relevant?

If there is no oil, there is no oil. Full stop!

How is it connected to the issue of the thread?

Maybe if you commented one would know what you exactly want to mean.

This is what I say - Neither here, nor there!

Mere jiggering the show and standing by like an innocent babe ever so nice!

Just like what Red China does - act cute!
    Last edited by Ray; 05-11-2012 at 08:24 AM.

I did not ask you to post Indian news as if you were a Secretary.

Surly comments would have been in context!

What are those links relevant about?

What has there being no oil where India is drilling relevant?

If there is no oil, there is no oil. Full stop!

How is it connected to the issue of the thread?

Maybe if you commented one would know what you exactly want to mean.

This is what I say - Neither here, nor there!

Mere jiggering the show and standing by like an innocent babe ever so nice!
    Do you add a comment to every news article you post? Where is your comment regarding the article you posted just above in #510?

China will always downplay that it is a threat to any country, far or near.

That is how she has been able to achieve her 'Peaceful Rise'.

Now, it is China to show a bit of flexing her muscle, passing it off as merely a tired arms flayed yawn!

War is not the answer. Containment is!
    You meant "Being on guard!". I understand that now.

Council Member

The original question is in regard to your comment that for Chinese money is the supreme happiness. Do you feel that this statement is a generalisation when applied to over a billion people? If you feel that a single statement about the thought processes of a billion people is not a generalisation, say so directly.
    Your quote is like a punch drunk boxer swaying.

On Red Chinese or Chicoms praying at the new God – Money – I have given you enough examples that you wish to avoid and instead sway to another issue connecting somehow to the issue you want so as to obfuscate and wipe it out like a bad dream so that others don’t realise your sleight of hand!

What you have quoted is query about all Chinese, more so the expats, not being the same and that they do understand the nation’s psychology and aspirations (where they reside) and are not on the same page.

I PROVED that Han Cultural arrogance supersedes local sentiments where the Han reside as expats or naturalised citizens. You, claiming to be from Australia, I gave a series of links to prove so.

And the result?

You weave meander and deflect since the truth is hard to defend.

Your post above was, I presume, a response to my question about whether international trade facilitated an aggressive policy of hegemony on the part of China. The post seems to have little to do with the question. If Tibet is a side issue why have you raised it here? What does the posting of an article about the Dalai Lama's views on the communist party have to do with magnanimity? When you say, "you are shovelling money, or "you Chinese" here, have you made any distinction between the mainland or other Chinese communities?
    I raised Tibet to show how inspite of shovelling money, the Chinese are thunderstruck that money and material gains are not enamouring or ‘buying’ them off unlike the Chinese who have been bought up by the CCP with starry lights and money.

An example of peoples (Han and non Han) of the same country who have different perspective of life and materialism of the same country!

Could there be a better example that gives examples from the same country?

I don’t use the term ‘you Chinese’. Or have I?

Chinese are not one, notwithstanding CCP’s claim that 92% are Hans. That is skulduggery. The Southern Chinese are ‘barbarians’ who were made to succumb to Han culturalism. 100 Yues is just one example! And the Han abortive attempt to convert the people of Northern part of Vietnam!

You stated that values are important. If you feel that mentioning that "values are important" is sufficient without describing what they are that's up to you.
    As you point out, anyone can ride their high horse on the internet.
    As an oriental if you have no idea about values, then what can one say?

Start by reading a westerner – Pearl S Buck and her book The Good Earth. Try another one, which may upset you being a votary of China – The Wild Swans by Jung Chang. Both are excellent books. Jung Chang is an eyeopener since she travels down history of three generations encompassing China changing over the years!

My question was if you felt that any of your views on the Chinese are a result of bigotry or ignorance. If not, say so directly.
    You appear to be intelligent.

What does what I have given in the post you have appended say?

I keep writing on Han cultural superiority and Han arrogance and that is not adequate? What do you want – me call a Press Conference?

You don't recall posting that you thought China needed to be contained or was being contained?
    Given the manner in which the Chinese is claiming the world, sure it does deserve to be contained so that she and the world are contended!
    Last edited by Ray; 05-11-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Originally Posted by Ray
    Backward

Your quote is like a punch drunk boxer swaying.

On Red Chinese or Chicoms praying at the new God – Money – I have given you enough examples that you wish to avoid and instead sway to another issue contecting somehow to the issue you want so as to obfuscate and wipe it out like a bad dream so that others don’t realise your sleight of hand!

What you have quoted is query about all Chinese, more so the expats, not being the same and that they do understand the nation’s psychology and aspirations and are not isolated from the same.

I PROVED that Han Cultural arrogance supersedes local sentiments where the Han reside as expats or naturalised citizens. You, claiming to be from Australia, I gave a series of links to prove so.

And the result?

You weave meander and deflect since the truth is hard to defend!

This is the entirety of your post #380:
    Quote:
    You will not understand that money is not all in life.

To a Chinese money is everything and the index to supreme happiness.

Not so to people who still have religion and religious beliefs.

That is why you find it problematic in Tibet where you are shovelling in money.

It is difficult to explain to you Chinese.

Check any forum.

The Chinese are surprised why the Tibetans are rebelling when their materialistic lives have improved manifolds!

No, to many around the world, religion and religious solace and religious ethics matter.

Money, wealth and power is not all.

Values are also important!

India has not backed off from Iran, in case you did not know. Check Indian news!

Yet, we are still with the US on the major issues!

I raised Tibet to show how inspite of shovelling money, the Chinese are thunderstruck that money and material gains are not enamouring or ‘buying’ them off unlike the Chinese who have been bought up by the CCP with starry lights and money.

An example of peoples (Han and non Han) of the same country who have different perspective of life and materialism of the same country!

Could there be a better example that gives examples from the same country?

I don’t use the term ‘you Chinese’. Or have I?

Chinese are not one, notwithstanding CCP’s claim that 92% are Hans. That is skulduggery. The Southern Chinese are ‘barbarians’ who were made to succumb to Han culturalism. 100 Yues is just one example! And the Han abortive attempt to convert the people of Northern part of Vietnam!

As an oriental if you have no idea about values, then what can one say?

Start by reading a westerner – Pearl S Buck and her book The Good Earth. Try another one, which may upset you being a votary of China – The Wild Swans by Jung Chang. Both are excellent books. Jung Chang is an eyeopener since she travels down history of three generations encompassing China changing over the years!

You appear to be intelligent.

What does what I have given in the post you have appended say?

I keep writing on Han cultural superiority and Han arrogance and that is not adequate? What do you want – me call a Press Conference?

Given the manner in which the Chinese is claiming the world, sure it does deserve to be contained so that she and the world are contended!
    You seem to be getting irritable. We'll leave it there for now. I'll take a look at your proof. Thanks.

Council Member

Do you add a comment to every news article you post? Where is your comment regarding the article you posted just above in #510?
    Post 510 is information as to what India is doing.

But your series of 'Indian news' is in context to my asking you that you should check Indian news.

Of course, if it was to prove you are taking my advice, I am flattered.

Good show, old bean!

Council Member

You seem to be getting irritable. We'll leave it there for now. I'll take a look at your proof. Thanks.
    Not at all.

You are such a pleasant distraction this sultry Friday.

Why should I find you irritable?

They say if one keeps an active mind, one can avoid Alzheimer's !

You are doing social service and I thank you for your concern about the world health!

Council Member

The situation has taken a serious turn for the worse, the Filippinos have threatend to use Kung Fu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=62xL_7t5aAI

I knew this would happen, the Chinese allowed these deadly techniques to proliferate globally and now they'll be employed against them.

It's Friday, time for a cold one.

Council Member

How should one view this?

Peaceful solution with no grand designs?
    “China should be prepared to engage in a small-scale war at sea with the Philippines.”

One of China’s most popular newspapers has warned of a potential “small-scale war” between Beijing and Manila as a result of their standoff at Panatag Shoal, or Scarborough Shoal as the area is known internationally....

“Once the war erupts, China must take resolute action to deliver a clear message to the outside world that it does not want a war, but definitely has no fear of it,” the tabloid said.....

In Camp Aquino in Tarlac City, the head of the military’s Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) accused China of lying when it claimed it had withdrawn most of its vessels at Panatag Shoal.

“We are telling them they’re not telling the truth,” Nolcom commander Lt. Gen. Anthony Alcantara told visiting defense reporters.

In a press briefing, Alcantara said at least seven Chinese vessels remained in the vicinity of Panatag, including two small fishing boats anchored on the lagoon and three other fishing vessels off a sandbar.....

Chinese embassy spokesperson Zhang Hua said only one Chinese surveillance ship remained at Panatag for “law enforcement missions.”

“The withdrawal of the two ships proves once again China is not escalating the situation as some people said, but de-escalating the situation,” Zhang said.

On the Philippine side, a Coast Guard ship, the BRP Pampanga, and a Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources ship, the MCS 3006, are in the Panatag waters to stand guard, Alcantara said.

Last night, the DFA said that “contrary to the Chinese embassy’s claim, two of their vessels—the maritime surveillance ships CMS 71 and FLEC 310—are still in the area, along with five Chinese fishing vessels.” The information came from the Coast Guard, it said.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/346...th-philippines

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    The situation has taken a serious turn for the worse, the Filippinos have threatend to use Kung Fu
    Worse than that, there are hints that Manny Pacquiao might be deployed...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-cartoon.html

What's amusing about the kung fu video is that the Chinese had issued dire warnings to their nationals, asking them to stay inside and avoid the protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    It's Friday, time for a cold one.
    Saturday here, but about the same time.

In any event the current standoff at Scarborough Shoal will probably last until the SW monsoon kicks in (typically mid May to mid June, already getting a bit of it) and will certainly end when the first typhoon comes over the horizon.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

Protest in Philippines over South China Sea stand-off

11 May 2012

Activists chant and hold placards outside the Chinese embassy in Manila on 11 May 2012 Organisers said protests were planned in Manila and at other Chinese diplomatic missions

Several hundred protesters waved flags and placards at the Chinese embassy in Manila, calling for China to withdraw its ships from a South China Sea shoal......

"Our protest is directed at the overbearing actions and stance of the government in Beijing, which behaves like an arrogant overlord, even in the homes of its neighbours," rally organiser Loida Nicholas Lewis was quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

More at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18030805
    This indicates that Filipinos consider China a threat. Or else why have a protest rally?

Let us see how it pans out.

Too early in the day.
    Last edited by Ray; 05-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Several hundred protesters waved flags and placards at the Chinese embassy in Manila, calling for China to withdraw its ships from a South China Sea shoal.....
    This indicates that Filipinos consider China a threat. Or else why have a protest rally?
    Several hundred indicates that the perception of threat isn't very high. You can find several hundred protestors waving flags and placards outside the US embassy on a regular basis, often demanding termination of the Visiting Forces Agreement and military exercises.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken