Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Beijing, Feb 12 : Terming US attempts to woo India and other neighbours of China as "unbearable," an article in a Communist party magazine has said that Beijing must send a "clear signal" to these countries that it is ready to go to war to safeguard its national interests.

The article published in the Qiushi Journal, the official publication of the ruling Communist Party of China (CPC) said China must adhere to a basic strategic principle of not initiating war but being ready to counterattack.

"We must send a clear signal to our neighbouring countries that we don't fear war, and we are prepared at any time to go to war to safeguard our national interests," the article said, suggesting an aggressive strategy to counter emerging US alliances in the region.
    and

China on its part, it said, can consider the idea of launching economic warfare through strategies to contain the US dollar and making effective use of forums like the IMF and initiating a space war by developing strong space weapons.

It also suggested as a counter-strategy the idea of pursuing a strong policy against neighbours joining the US alliance, even attacking a nearby enemy and forming anti-US alliances in Latin America and Africa.
    http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/Worl...arty-3010.html
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Council Member

Adam, did I miss it, or did the article only state Chinese Communist Magazine and didn't reference an issue or link? India's media is famous for drumming up good stories disassociated from facts, which unfortunately colors the few good news stories they uncover.

Also important is who wrote it, and who the intended audience really was. We have some pretty provocative opinion pieces in our journals also, and they don't represent State policy. Not down playing this, just requesting more information.

Loved the comment in the article, "flies do not stare at seamless eggs".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Not down playing this, just requesting more information.
    Bob,
    Google is your friend. 'Quishi-Journal' search term, published 1st & 16th of the month. There's probably a full translation up on OpenSource.gov but knowing the Indian press, the article probably had the bulk of the Chicom text in it already.

http://www.oriprobe.com/qiushi_en.html

http://www.asianage.com/internationa...hrough-war-185

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Default menage a douche

U.S. “strategic priorities and interests will increasingly emanate from the Asia-Pacific region.” For “decades to come” the military will keep a robust presence in Northeast Asia. Across Southeast Asia and the Pacific, the U.S. will “seek new ways to catalyze greater regional security cooperation,” including with traditional Chinese allies like Vietnam.
    Mullen to China - We're Staying In Your Backyard - Danger Room

The childish burblings of both China and the United States are becoming wearisome. Frankly, I would have expected better of the US, but there ya go.

Default Don't pay a whole lot of asttention to that Blog.

It's operated by a bunch of wannabe's whose greatest claim to fame is that they can rouse rabble...

That's merely one guys interpretation of the NMS / CJCS comments and his writings are not the position of the US Government -- for that matter, neither are the comments of the Chairman of the JCS necessarily indicative of that position.

Our so-called news media babbles a lot and rarely do they actually reflect a true position of the government.

Default masses of the opiate

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Our so-called news media babbles a lot and rarely do they actually reflect a true position of the government.
    I stand corrected. It's good to know some folks can still tell the difference between white and wong. Or something like that. Anyhoo...

Banned

Default Chinese Military-Industrial Complex

Perhaps one of the reasons for its strength is the role of PLA-owned companies.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's operated by a bunch of wannabe's ...
    Maybe you can provide something substantial on the article to make up for the dirty ad hominem attack?

Wired's Danger Room is the most visited MilBlog, with articles by journalists and former military personnel. We could ignore it - but by that standard one ought to ignore almost all sources, ending up with a completely unsatisfactory choice of information sources.

What's worse; it's a very questionable approach to consider only the government itself as a source for info about the government's intent.
    Imagine this: Governments lie, and it's the press' job to expose lies and misleading statements - or to comment on vague statements.

"including with traditional Chinese allies like Vietnam."

Hmm. You learn something new everyday.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Americans seem to use the words "ally" and "allies" very loosely in many contexts...

Default Dirty? Eye of the beholder, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Maybe you can provide something substantial on the article to make up for the dirty ad hominem attack?
    Ad Hom it certainly was -- but not dirty IMO. I can get dirty but rarely do -- here.

As for something substantial, I thought I did provide that -- I simply said the Blogger's opinions were not the position of the US Government. If you know otherwise, let us know.
    Wired's Danger Room is the most visited MilBlog, with articles by journalists and former military personnel. We could ignore it - but by that standard one ought to ignore almost all sources, ending up with a completely unsatisfactory choice of information sources.
    You got me on that one -- ignore's a bad choice of words...

Or would have been if I had used it. I did not; I wrote "Don't pay a whole lot of attention to that Blog." Not the same thing. In essence I said do not take anything written there as definitive. That also applies to anything written here -- and by me. And you...

I also read the Blog; not overly impressed with it but I read it in order to know what the cognoscenti are thinking. We all need a chuckle now and then and they do get a good scoop on occasion. That does not mean they or any blog, media outlet or source are always totally believable or accurate. As for 'Danger Room,' on an accuracy scale, I'd give it 6 or 7 out of 10, it's better than most (you get an 8 or 9...) -- none are perfect (no 10s). Nor am I (Registering at 8.052941).
    All of us should read multiple, preferably competing and /or disagreeing sources and then make up our own minds. I'm sure you do that.

So do others.
    What's worse; it's a very questionable approach to consider only the government itself as a source for info about the government's intent.

Imagine this: Governments lie, and it's the press' job to expose lies and misleading statements - or to comment on vague statements.
    All true and I didn't say otherwise. I did say that the CJCS also did not speak for the US Government.

Note that I did not say, as you imply, that whatever the US Government said was to be taken as the entire truth and that I have on numerous occasions on this Board said that it often dissembled and obfuscated, sometimes for good reason, sometimes stupidly -- and often because that Government is quite large and frequently one Agency doesn't know what another is doing...
    Last edited by Ken White; 02-14-2011 at 08:41 PM.

That does not mean they or any blog, media outlet or source are always totally believable or accurate. As for 'Danger Room,' on an accuracy scale, I'd give it 6 or 7 out of 10, it's better than most (you get an 8 or 9...) -- none are perfect (no 10s).
    Flattery in a discussion - you seem to add rhetoric tricks even at high age.

Btw, it's not always the used words that count, but the impressions they leave on others.
    Last edited by Fuchs; 02-14-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Default asdf

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Flattery in a discussion - you seem to add rhetoric tricks even at high age.
    True, I do -- but that wasn't an example. I do happen to agree with you on a great many things. There are a few, though, OTOH...
    Btw, it's not always the used words that count, but the impressions they leave on others.
    Of course.

Default How far will China's navy reach?

I know there is a threat on China as a super power, but this article is about the naval aspects:
    China's growing naval prowess is not so much an exercise in belligerence but an effort to shake off the shackles that have long confined its strategic reach. Nevertheless, there is reason for concern: Any China-related military conflict is most likely to be triggered and fought at sea.
    Link:http://www.opendemocracy.net/opensec...nas-navy-reach

Other threads, the long running China's Emergence as a Superpower:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=4366 and China's Emergence as Military Power Splits Strategists: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...read.php?t=493
    davidbfpo

Default Lost in translation: China’s opaque defence white paper

davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Great find...

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    davidbfpo-

Great find! The discussion of China's portrayal of their power projection capability is very interesting, as is the portion about the People's Armed Police taking primary responsibility for internal security.

It will be interesting to see how China ends up using its carrier once it is operational... and how they continue the charade of being a purely defensive force when they have that capability.

Thanks again!

V/R,

Cliff

Default projection is in the eye of the beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    and how they continue the charade of being a purely defensive force when they have that capability.
    What's fascinating is that for all the talk of PLA 'mystique' and lack of transparency, folks regularly seem able to divine the hostile intentions of the Chinese as clearly as the autumn moon on a cloudless night. Did someone re-activate Grill Flame?

Grill Flame

Stargate Project - Wikipedia

Default leggo my ego

For what it's worth, these articles from the Asia Times seemed to provide fairly reasonable assessments:

BEIJING - China's latest attempt to justify to the world its military aggrandizement, its White paper on the People's Liberation Army, was long on new policies and tasks of the army, but failed to explain how the growing amount of money budgeted for the military will be spent.
    China banks on giving peace a chance - Francesco Sisci - Asia Times Online - 12 April, 2011

<>?<>

BEIJING - Geography is destiny - perhaps the most inevitable of all. China is the Asian country with the greatest number of bordering neighbors and, large or small, has less than idyllic relations with all of them. Many are unstable; others are ambitious and eye China's economic and political growth with fear and suspicion; and most have a history of vassalage to China from which they have freed themselves only in the past century. They all tend to worry that China, once again a superpower, will try to force them back into bondage.
    The China 'threat' as a blessing - Francesco Sisci - Asia Times Online - 13 April, 2011

<>?<>

BEIJING - The first thing China needs if it ever is to become the indisputable world's "Number One", is friends and allies, not a mighty and technologically advanced military. Real friends, not like North Korea; and real allies, not like Pakistan, a country that if pressed would pick America. To have real friends, China has to become democratic, and while this would not be a total solution, it would be a necessary step.
    Biding time for an orderly rise - Francesco Sisci - Asia Times Online - 14 April, 2011

<>?<>

TAIPEI - A proud China is set to launch its first aircraft carrier. For Taiwan, the carrier's most frightening aspect could be its name.
    Ming Dynasty admiral spooks Taiwan - Jens Kastner - Asia Times Online - 13 April, 2011

<>?<>

Over the past decade or so, the "China threat" theory has spread throughout the West, despite Beijing's repeated pledges that China's rise will be peaceful.
    US-China rivalry still a mismatch - Jinghao Zhu - Asia Times Online - April 14, 2011

<>?<>

My personal Grill Flame thinks that if Taiwan wants to be an independent nation, they should be allowed to be so; realistically, I guess that would mean an autonomously governed province. Would that be a workable outcome, I don't know. Why China would want to be a 'superpower', I have no idea. Ego the Living Planet?

Ego the Living Planet - Wikipedia
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member

IndiaTV is India's answer to Glenn Beck. Never mind the Indian media, they don't just provide you with the news, they can even make some.

For some genuine news regarding India consider these sources as somewhat closer to the truth.

http://www.timesnow.tv/

http://www.ndtv.com/

http://www.hinduonnet.com/

WASHINGTON, May 19 (Xinhua) -- Chen Bingde, chief of the General Staff of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), is on a week-long trip to the United States, leading a PLA delegation.

During his stay, Chen has held talks with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Defense Secretary Robert Gates and his U.S. counterpart Mike Mullen, exchanging views on relations between the two militaries,international and regional issues as well as bilateral practical cooperation.

More importantly, Chen's visit is part of efforts to implement the consensus reached by Chinese President Hu Jintao and U.S. President Barack Obama.
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13885931.htm

China's top military officer said Wednesday that his country lacked the equipment and directives necessary to challenge the U.S. militarily.

"Through my visit over the past couple of days in the United States, I am surprised by the sophistication of the U.S. military, including its weapons and equipment and doctrines and so on," People's Liberation Army leader General Chen Bingde said. "I can tell you that China does not have the capability to challenge the United States. As a matter of fact, the reconnaissance activities along China's coast by U.S. military aircraft and vessels are seen in China as deterrents."

For emphasis, the general added, "What I'm trying to say is that we do not have the capability to challenge the United States."
    http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...est=latestnews