6 23.08%
  • Disagree

8 30.77%
  • Uncertain

1 3.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Boomers and the 9/11 Generation

Quote Originally Posted by SWJED View Post
    In the Weekly Standard William Kristol describes the Baby Boomers (generally accepted in the U.S. as those born between 1946 and 1964) (snip).
    I'm not sure how you can speak meaningfully about such a vast and divergent bunch of people. What does a man who was 18 in '64 have in common with a man who was born that year? When the latter was 18, the former was 36.

It seems to me that arbitrarily dividing people into groups (let's call them generations) on the basis of age, and then trying to analyze what those groups have accomplished is not going to be a productive exercise.

Sweet! I'm a Baby Boomer by 6 days!!!

Hey, get off your butts and start working, GenX and GenYers!!!! D'you think my Social Security is going to pay for itself???

How about those of us raised in "backwards" conditions in rural America?

I've read more than one critical essay about the "Greatest Generation", and how real and actual sacrifice was also borne by a shocking minority, while the majority saw it as a "great adventure" and were relatively untouched by the negative aspects of WWII.

Like the Army recruiting slogan used to say, "Every Generation Has Its Heroes."

Council Member

Default The Geezer Hour of Power

120mm, what happened to the "an army of one" slogan? Maybe too many boomers started laughing too much and it trickled upward fast - who knows - the "army strong" slogan is a true reflection of the boomer ethos - this thread may deteriorate into the geezer hour of power, reflection and reminiscence and get out of hand

Council Member

Personally, I think a generation that grows up watching this will put a stake through the heart of most of the social conservative values Kristol holds dear.
    Last edited by Rank amateur; 11-21-2007 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.

Default Punditry = Unsubstantiated Generalizations, Stereotypes, and Plain Falsehoods

Speaking as a member of the "9/11 generation," I'd like to say the following:

1. Thanks, Bill, for raising me up to the level of World War II veterans - ego boosts are always welcome.

2. In all seriousness, this is a remarkably shallow generalization. The boomer generation was not solely a drug-hazed bunch of disco lovers, nor (and even more so) is my generation so selfless, courageous, and committed to service as Kristol seems to think.

As I've said before, I don't know what college campuses he's been on recently, but actions to back up noble-sounding calls of service and sacrifice are few and far between. And I doubt it's just my college.

Another example of why punditry really is just about getting attention.

Matt
    "Give a good leader very little and he will succeed. Give a mediocrity a great deal and he will fail." - General George C. Marshall

Example is better than precept.

You know, for those of us who try not to default to the crotchety old man "the kids these days..." mode, it is difficult not to when you realize that the current generation is fatter than any generation in history. I mean, I remember the 2 fat kids in my class of 31.

In my kids school, there are just a few kids per class that AREN'T pudgy, if not downright obese....

"And the whitefish was better in the old country, too...."

Default Back in MY day...

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    You know, for those of us who try not to default to the crotchety old man "the kids these days..." mode, it is difficult not to when you realize that the current generation is fatter than any generation in history. I mean, I remember the 2 fat kids in my class of 31.

In my kids school, there are just a few kids per class that AREN'T pudgy, if not downright obese....

We used to walk through 6' foot drifts of snow just to get to school (actually, that was true, at least for a couple of days in 1972). When I told my Grandfather hat, he say "Yeah? Well, were you carrying 100 lbs of grain in a bag on your back? Thought not -[wuss...]".
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post

All four of my kids are rail thin. My two 8 year olds are almost 35 lbs each and over 45 inches tall. They are in second grade and do 3rd and 4th grade math. The female PE teacher (at least 230 pounds and maybe 5' 8") says the boys aren't strong enough because they don't do push ups and they won't do well academically. Oh,,,, she's a boomer too.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Hey, be fair. When you were kids, it was actually safe to play outside. You had sidewalks.

These days, sidewalks are rarer, and it's not quite so safe to play outside. Let's see you try to stay fit under those conditions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Pundit immunity.

For some reason, our professional class of media loudmouths is never held accountable for when they are wrong. This goes not just for the Iraq War but for most other issues as well. Indeed, book deals often result (for Iraq alone: Kenneth Pollack, Peter Beinart, Thomas Friedman, Max Boot, Jeffrey Goldberg, Judith Miller, Ralph Peters, and I'm sure many others).

Pundits should have batting averages for when they're flatly right or wrong on their various predictions posted next to their bylines. It'd help to know if you're dealing with Tony Gwynn or Mario Mendoza when you're reading their latest argument.
    I wish I had a dollar for every time I've suggested that very thing!

Pundit immunity in full effect.

The author of the piece in question gets a NYTIMES opinion column. I cannot think of anyone better qualified for certain tasks at the NYTIMES than Bill Kristol.