Thread: A "Tet Offensive" in Iraq

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

While you maybe right abut the impact of US elections but I kind of doubt it. I think this view comes from the fact that we see others actions through our own perspective, i.e. the US elections are of major importance to us therefore we assume they are to others as well. However other actors have their own motivations and influences which are much more significant to them.

Add to that the fact that the differences between any of the likely presidential nominees are pretty small.

No doubt they watch the elections but I doubt it is a deciding factor.

Council Member

Some of the recent Legislative attempts can give no other message but retreat to our foes and some from the Dem side have a platform built in part on this message. I for one am guilty of believing for far too long that our foes don't fully understand us. Iraq's economy is not robust, infrastructure growth is steady but on the slow side and the glue for political unity and a degree of solidarity is more akin to paper paste, far from substantial in its adhesion, England retains a toe hold at best andTurkey wants to come south to kill Kurds. I can't believe any senior commander in the camp of the enemy would be at this time launching any major offensives, not with just a year to a new American Administration and wounds to lick.